What does God even want?

Okay, I just don’t understand how God can love us if He creates us, gives us no input on what we want for our lives, gives us very unclear rules through very old and inconsistent sources, expects us to be perfect like Him, and we get stuck with eternal punishment if we’re not good enough. I just want God to know that if I’m going to go to Hell, I’d rather that He never made me. That seems like a much more loving thing to do. I think it’s a lot easier to be perfect when you are the all-knowing, all-powerful creator of everything.I’m sick of trying to be perfect and please some unknown being who hasn’t made Himself very easy to find.
I never thought, I’d say this. But if God is really as hard to please as He seems in the Bible, I know that I’ll never meet His standards. He wants me to do good works? My pleasure. Go to mass? Fine. Ask for forgiveness when I do wrong? Definitely. But I’m not selling everything I own and have worked for. I’m not blindly following some guy in Rome who doesn’t even know I exist. And I’m not going to constantly worry about the rest of forever when I’m just trying to make it through today.
Can someone set me straight on what God actually wants from us and why He would bother making us if He knew we would go to Hell?

First I heard when I was in 1st grade and studied the catechism is this.

God wants (i.e., the reason He made us) us to do this:
to know Him, to love Him and to serve Him in this world
and to be happy with Him forever in heaven.

That was 60 yrs ago. All of it is still very true, of course.

Yes, I learned that too. But why would He make Heaven so hard to attain and give us only this life and possibly purgatory to attain it?

What we do, what we attain is based in our choices.

God gave us free will.
In the case of Catholics, we know
that God gave us the GIFT of Faith.
That’s what my Irish ancestors called it:
the GIFT of Faith.
We are to cherish it, guard it, protect it and appreciate it.

PS -

God owes us nothing.
He’s given us life.
He’s given us Faith.

We owe God.

I never chose to exist. If me or someone else goes to Hell, what was the point of us even existing? I doubt a loving God would create someone knowing they are destined for eternal suffering. And we are always told we must take responsibility for our actions. It doesn’t seems very responsible to create someone in your own image and them abandon them because they’re not good enough. If God us, then I think He owes us something.

God gifts us with freedom.
What we choose id our own doing.

God IS Love.

Good night now.
I work tomorrow.
God bless you.

Good night, Catharina, and may God bless you for having paid attention in catechism. :o
For anyone else lurking, can you tell me why God seems so unattainable?

Well, first of all, you have kind of a messed up idea of God. That isn’t surprising though and it’s probably where all your other problems come from too. So, let’s see what we can do to help the situation…

You say: gives us no input on what we want for our lives, gives us very unclear rules through very old and inconsistent sources, expects us to be perfect like Him, and we get stuck with eternal punishment if we’re not good enough.

It looks like from ‘old and inconsistent sources’ you mean the Bible? Jesus actually didn’t leave us a Bible, He left us a Church. The Church is a very current, consistent and clear source of what God wants from us. So, there’s that problem solved.
The second part of what you said here is also very distorted. Yes, God expects us to be perfect like Him, but He also gives us the means and the way to do it. He doesn’t expect something from us that we can’t do. He gives us grace and He even gives us purgatory in case we can’t get all the way there. We don’t ‘get stuck with eternal punishment’. If we end up in Hell, we choose it. Heaven is all about being with God. Hell is all about being without God. Just leave all of those cartoon versions of hell out of it and focus on that fact. If you don’t want to be with God throughout your whole life, then why would you want to be with Him in eternity? Kind of simple.

You say: ‘I just want God to know that if I’m going to go to Hell, I’d rather that He never made me.’

He knows. It seems like you have this image of God as some sort of unpleasable tyrant but if you got to know Him better, you wouldn’t have this problem. He didn’t make you so He could send you to Hell. He made you because He loves you.

You say: ‘I’m sick of trying to be perfect and please some unknown being who hasn’t made Himself very easy to find.’

Well, Jesus said seek and you will find. I think that’s about the only thing you have to do to find God. Just seek Him. It’s not that hard.

You say: ‘But I’m not selling everything I own and have worked for. I’m not blindly following some guy in Rome who doesn’t even know I exist. And I’m not going to constantly worry about the rest of forever when I’m just trying to make it through today.’

For one thing, you don’t have to sell everything you own. Don’t know where you got that from. For another, you don’t have to constantly worry. Jesus explicitly said numerous times, DON’T WORRY. ‘Let not your hearts be troubled’, ‘Be not afraid’…He said it lots of times in lots of different ways. He also said, let the day’s evil be sufficient for the day, in other words, one day at a time. No trouble there either.
Also, you don’t have to ‘blindly follow some guy in Rome’. You don’t have to blindly follow anything. If you come to a real belief in Catholicism, then you can learn your faith and use your reason (without all this emotion) and there will be nothing blind about it.

Finally you ask: ‘Can someone set me straight on what God actually wants from us and why He would bother making us if He knew we would go to Hell?’

God want us to have life and have it abundantly. He wants us to be in love. He wants us to have that for eternity.
We can’t know what nothing is, truly. The closest we can come to it is sin. So, I guess if you want to know what not existing is like, the closest you could come to it is thinking of a horrific act of sin, something Jeffrey Dahmer did maybe, or something from the concentration camps…you can come up with your own. Some theologians say that Hell is an eternal unmaking of a person. So, maybe if you go to Hell you get your wish of not existing, in a certain sense. But again, what I’m getting at is, we don’t know.
What we DO KNOW is that the reason there is a Hell is because we have free will. God has given us radical freedom. He seems hidden and far away, because if He was in our face, our free will would be gone. We have free will so we can love. No free will, no love. It is the teaching of the Church that God gives every grace and every chance for someone to go to heaven. So, if someone goes to hell it really is their choice. If you think of God as an unpleasable tyrant…that will color how you see everything else. But, if you know God as He is, as Love, then that will color how you see everything else, even Hell. Some theologians say we all go to God and those in heaven are burned in the flames of God’s love and it’s bliss and those in hell are burned in the flames of God’s love and it’s torment. It’s all in how you see God, how you know Him…either He is Love or He is a tyrant. If you kept on seeing God as a tyrant the rest of your life and you died and went to be with Him for all eternity, then it wouldn’t be a happy thing for you.

Jesus suffered and died for You and me personally and every person

we sinned and fell away from Paradise ,but a God that you speak about would have left us to rot and forever remain away from him and from paradise

Jesus didnt have to come and die for us ,but came to earth because he loves us and was tortured for us

if thats not enough,the third person of the Holy Trinity ,the Holy Spirit has come to earth also to remain with the church

Jesus/God exists in the church,he is very close to us in Holy communion,as he gave us his flesh and blood to eat and drink,and says that he will be with us till the end of time

what more do you want or ask for?

God has done all he can for our salvation and entry in Paradise

i dont think anyone can have a case against God that he hasnt been good to us,or that he lets us go to hell

focus on the suffering of Christ on the cross and his sacrifice for us,that is what saves us from hell

St Paul reached a very high level of perfection ,because he was always devoted to God and loved him

all or any of the love we show/give towards God and our neighbour in this life will be rewarded in Heaven

if you dont want to love God and your brother,then you are free to behave and live however you like

do you prefer to be evil or wicked like a demon or devil?

that is a an illusional life if you prefer that and you would have blown your one opurtunity in this life to focus your life and efforts on loving ,serving and devoting your time and life to God,Jesus Christ and his Church which he founded upon this earth

God be with you

God love you

He seems unobtainable because we keep desiring and striving after the things that are created and not the Creator. When we gain a mediocre sense of satisfaction from what we are able to get in this world, and set our sights on gaining just a little bit of fleeting happiness for all our work it is then that we have abandoned the pursuit of God by way of ultimate Truth, happiness, and fulfillment of all desire. We have given in to the world and have stopped listening in to the depth of our souls, because it it scary to put that trust in anything other than that which is easily grasped. Even if it only provides moments of fleeting happiness and mediocre satisfaction, it is better than trusting because it is MINE. What God wants is for us to want our true fulfillment and not settle for that which is fleeting and mediocre. What will we truly want exactly one minute before we die, mediocrity or eternity? Eternity is well worth giving even if one did not ask for it.

Well when I was converting I had to know not just what’s the truth and what am I supposed to do but also why am I doing it. For me what worked is praying every day for guidance and understanding of the church’s teachings. Over many months I had inner understanding that I couldn’t explain much in words but which helped me get why these teachings are true.
I continue to read material that explains more in depth why the church teachings are true and best, and not just arbitrary. Not just rules set down by God to watch us play some weird game for his amusement! They are abiding truths of love.
I will pray for you and I suggest praying for God’s truth and for wisdom; it worked for me. It helped me get the truths on a level that was much deeper.

Blessings!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.