What does God have a right to expect from us

In Your opinion WHAT does GOD have a right to expct from us? Please be specific:thumbsup:

Duet 6: 4-5 " [5] Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole strength. [6] And these words which I command thee this day, shall be in thy heart:

Gen 1: 26-28 “26] And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth. [27] And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them. [28] And God blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it, and rule over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and all living creatures that move upon the earth.”

OBEDIENCE [what does this term command?]

Exod.15: 26 "saying, “If you will diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD your God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give heed to his commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases upon you which I put upon the Egyptians; for I am the LORD, your healer.”

Deut.17: 12 “The man who acts presumptuously, by not obeying the priest who stands to minister there before the LORD your God, or the judge, that man shall die; so you shall purge the evil from Israel”

.Acts.5: 32 "And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey him."

Rom.6: 16 “Do you not know that if you yield yourselves to any one as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?”

Heb.5: 9 "and being made perfect he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him"

God Bless you,

Patrick

Charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control, and chastity. As you know, these are the fruit of the Holy Spirit, virtues having their origin in God, imparted into our souls by grace, and then redirected back to God Who “crowns His merits in us.” We are obliged also to hold to these virtues in our relations with our fellow men.

Everything, that should be broad enough as well as specific enough…

Great answer!

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Everything.
“Good teacher what must I do…”

To seek after something more true, more perfect, more just than what this world. on its own, has to offer.

Very good:) What about humility though?

GBY

So is their a connection between Love and Obedience?

GBY

Patrick
[/quote]

Awesome & profound as is our God:thumbsup:

GBY

He has told you, O man, what is good,
And what the Lord requires of you:
Only to do justice
And to love goodness,
And to walk modestly with your God,
Then will your name achieve wisdom.

Micah 6:8

:thumbsup: Great one.

Is not modesty - not drawing attention to oneself - a kindred concept to humility? The list of concepts here is no more than a catechism list of the attributes that comprise the fruit of the Holy Spirit. The most important idea behind all of this is that these attributes are infused in us by Divine Grace; God, in other words, so long as we maintain a state of grace, grants us those attributes and qualities He desires and expects of us, that we may truly participate in the communion of saints and in the divine life.

OK, but is that “all?”:slight_smile:

GBY

I absolutely agree, YET it seems to Me [the OP]:slight_smile: that their are a couple of very basic, if I DARE use that term? Things required that no one has touched upon yet [or I missed it:blush:]

Thanks and GBY

What could be more than “everything”. God gives us everything that we are, and asks for everything from us, our whole selves.
That’s what love is: the total and complete gift of the self for the good of an other.

I think to begin with, yes. That, as a matter of justice, all humans should be motivated to do as a most basic pursuit. But from there we’d be expected to find Him, and from there to come to love Him with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength and our neighbor as ourselves-generally no overnight process. :slight_smile:

And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.
Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

Luke 18:18-20.

That is TRUE, but as the OP, I see it also as evasive [non-specific]

GBY

?
It is the answer Christ gave to the rich young man, who wanted a formula of some kind.
It is very specific. It is also so simple as to be confounding and difficult. (not the same as evasive) God is simple, we should strive for simplicity.

The answer does not need to be overthought. The answer to your question is ** total commitment**, not a list of qualities or virtues or requirements.
Everything.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.