What does God want me to do?

I need help with a question that I have been struggling with for a long time. I am Catholic, my wife isn’t, and we got married in a Catholic church. She took courses so that we could get married in the church. My wife is not interested in having children. She will only have sex if I use birth control. She will not even consider natural family planning method. One priest told me to get an annulment. That is not going to happen. We have been married 22 years and I love her. I have tried to get her to go to church with me, but that does not happen very often. What does God want me to do?

Hi,

What does God want you to do? He wants you to stop contracepting. If your non-Catholic wife wants to contracept, then let HER do it. But you are not allowed to use it yourself without committing a mortal sin. Nothing is worth mortal sin. The Church allows you to have marital relations so long as you are not using the birth control yourself. It further encourages you to try to help her see the evil of contracepting.
You are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.