What does having a faith mean to you?

Does it mean having a (ONE) faith or a belief?
Is it a faith in one person or a set of scripture.
Is it in a person only or is it a virtue to attain?
Just some thoughts, anyone, ah Mormans may answer too.
Dessert

Faith is certain and reasonable, it’s not a blind leap.
It’s also a supernatural gift, given to us when we pray for it.

Having a faith means having a belief in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior and acknowledging God the Father as the Creator of the heaven and earth. :thumbsup:
Having a faith means we owe God our ut-most being!!!

Faith is a difficult term. It’s been used for two different things and has a narrow interpretation and a broad one. Faith is referred to as synonymous with the word religion and with the definition of “the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” (Hebrews).

My religion or “faith” is Buddhism, founded by Siddhartha Guatama, the original Buddha.

My other “faith” rests in my assurance of the Buddhist canon, called the “Trikaya” or Three Baskets and the way that the Buddha taught to leave the cycle of birth and death.

Following the path laid out by the Buddha one develops faith in his words and methods. This faith then becomes not only head, but also heart.

For me, it means that I follow a religious discipline that makes sense and works for me and is both material and spiritual. I don’t know if that makes sense to you, but there is my opinion.

I believe faith in most religions is a wholesome and positive experience which helps people deal with life and gives them purpose. It does that for me and for countless millions of others in the world.

Peace…

Fa Chan

Having a faith grounded in the history and Sacraments of The One Holy Catholic Church has given me the ability to maintain and be sustained through some terrible events in my life over the past couple years. I am centered!
I spent my first 50 years as a protestant and never felt that Rock of faith in my life and therefore, made some awful decisions.

Having a “faith” is much more than accepting a set of doctrines…“Faith” is trusting that there is One who is in control…despite thw circumstances I see around me. Faith means I trust in this God who has been revealed in Jesus of Nazareth…who loves me not in spite of who I am…but because of who I am…Faith is echoing the words of the man who was made to see…“I don’t know if this man is a sinner or not…but one thing I do know…once I was blind, but now I can see…”

Doctrines and dogmas are those things which frame our faith and give it structure…but it is not “faith”…“I know whom I have believed and am pursuaded THAT HE IS ABLE TO KEEP WHAT I HAVE COMMITTED unto him against that day.”

Faith is the way I live…not what I believe…faith is living in trust that God holds all things in His Hands…no matter what my eyes tell me…no matter what my mind tells me…no matter what the circumstances in my life tell me…“He does all things well”…for me faith is best worded in the words of Job…“Though He slay me…still will I trust Him.”

AMEN
You said it so well. There is no point in me saying anything, because I don’t think I could say it any better myself.

Faith is life in Jesus Christ… in working His work when we cannot see… because He is all and all and all.

We matter not; only Jesus and doing His will and being in and with Him…

An idiot-child thus knows faith in Him just as a genius…

Hello,

I understand faith the way the Catholic Church understands it. To quote from the Catechism:

1814 - Faith is the theological virtue by which we believe in God and believe all that he has said and revealed to us, and that Holy Church proposes for our belief, because he is truth itself. By faith “man freely commits his entire self to God.”(DV 5.) For this reason the believer seeks to know and do God’s will. “The righteous shall live by faith.” Living faith “work(s) through charity.”(Rom 1:17; Gal 5:6.)

1815 The gift of faith remains in one who has not sinned against it.(Cf. Council of Trent (1547): DS 1545.) But “faith apart from works is dead”: (Jas 2:26.) when it is deprived of hope and love, faith does not fully unite the believer to Christ and does not make him a living member of his Body.

1816 The disciple of Christ must not only keep the faith and live on it, but also profess it, confidently bear witness to it, and spread it: “All however must be prepared to confess Christ before men and to follow him along the way of the Cross, amidst the persecutions which the Church never lacks.”(LG 42; cf. DH 14.) Service of and witness to the faith are necessary for salvation: “So every one who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven; but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.”(Mt 10:32-33.)

Having a faith means having a belief in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior and acknowledging God the Father as the Creator of the heaven and earth.
Having a faith means we owe God our ut-most being!!!

Ditto:thumbsup: :smiley:

Did your faith come to you when you were born, increase as you lived your life or spontaneously appeared one day?

Dessert

What does having faith mean to you?

It means that I understand and accept it as a gift from God. Since it is a gift from such a great gift giver, I cherish it, relish it, and foster it to make it grow. I lean on it when times are hard, rejoice in it when I sense blessings. It brings me to tears in adoration. It brings calm to my soul in meditation. It brings delight with each new or deeper understanding of Sacred Scripture. It brings deep respect for the Traditions I hold on to.

My faith: Christ is Risen.

I think you’ve hit the nail with your question. Jesus said that in order to please God we must have the faith of a little child. Anyone familiar with children knows the look on a child’s face when he believes in Jesus (or for that matter Santa Claus, or some other mythology). A child just accepts Jesus at face value without a lot of hifalutin questioning… this is my favorite concept of faith. I’ve seen in it my loved-one, who has great and simple faith that God is, and that God keeps his promises to the letter, and that “all things work together for good for those who love the Lord…”

Faith by defenition is trust, belief, or reliance upon someone or something. For salvation the object of ones faith determines his destiny. Those who by faith accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior are saved and assured of heaven.John 3:16;6:47. After one is saved by faith we are saked by God to put that saving faith into practice. :thumbsup:
Titus 2:11-14
11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, 13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, 14 who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, **and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds. **

I prefer the biblical and Webster dictionary understanding…

Faith means the belief in something not yet seen…
Nothing more… Nothing less

It is the first part in a long journey to what ever it is you have faith in…

It is the response and action that you take to that faith that determines the result.

Defining Faith to mean more than what it really means can cause you to distort your understanding of scripture and create very dangerous doctrines.

We cannot choose what faith means to any of us. And we must accept that faith does have a discrete definition. Doing otherwise, or giving it a meaning it never intended, opens dangerous doors that were never even there to begin with.

In Christ

:slight_smile: I agree that Faith is a gift from God, and we must live the Faith but when did you receive it?

That, my friend, is up to the individual. :thumbsup:

Hi,
I received it in church one Sunday between 11–12(that is when the service took place:D )I was listening to the service and all of a sudden it was like a lightbulb went off in my head and it all made sense. That is about all I can tell you about my salvation moment. I head much head knowledge but that moment was when my heart received the gift:thumbsup:

I am currently being sanctified by the HS daily but I already have a place in heaven waiting for me:D Thank you Lord:D

Faith is the substance of things hoped for. The evidence of things not seen.

I think we receive it in vitro. When, why, and how each person realizes the gift and begins to cultivate it is unique to that individual.

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
And before you were born I consecrated you;
I have appointed you a prophet to the nations – Jer. 1:5

For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother’s womb. – Ps 139:13

Just as you do not know the path of the wind and how bones are formed in the womb of the pregnant woman, so you do not know the activity of God who makes all things. – Ecclesiastes 11:5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.