What does Hebrews 10:26-29 mean?

Hi,
can anyone please explain this verse to me please?
does this mean that if a person knows something is a sin and still does it , that’s it and they cant be saved any more?
the situation am referring to is a person who is in habitual sin for decades .
he reads the bible and understands its wrong, he wants to change but feels unable and overwhelmed and at some point i guess may have even lost for a time the will to change this, sometimes justifying it as not a sin , however it seemed to lead always to another sin and lack of custody of the eyes . he gets married , his wife vexes him when he reads a bible for 7 years so he decides it may be better not to pick up a bible to keep the peace , then there is sickness ,money , work problems and .through this time he has never been able to stop one particular sin. although there was somewhat of a change , but never a full one. after 15 years he finds a secret that he wonders why he never figured it out before.
our lady and prayer and fasting. the man has now been free of his sin for 6 years for the first time in his life.
is there hope for him?
he feels guilt . shame , tempted to lose hope.
he does not know if its the devil or a wrong interpretation of this version and want to believe so much in the goodness and mercy of our Lord.
also i guess there are other factors involved , like how strong this habitual sin was , so many things .
he also feels that under the circumstances where he has had so many prayers ansswerd in the last 6 years and the mere fact he has overcome something he felt he could not on his own feels to him like our lord and his mother love hove him else how would he have the grace to overcome these vises or even want to.
he want to feel he does it because he loves god , not fear of hell although he does fear hell only since ready this passage as it the previous years just wanted to love god.
God Bless you brothers
i hope you can shine some light on this for me
juliano

Hebrews 10:26-29
For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

This passage concerns apostasy which is the total rejection of the faith after once been a member of the faith.

The New Testament epistles contain several of these “warning passages”, as they are called. The problem that early Christianity faced (and what modern Christianity is facing again in the West) is that some people would come into the faith and grow in faith but the consequences of being a Christian would become too much for them and they would leave the faith. The ridicule and ostracism they faced was judged by them to not be worth it and so they would go back to their former ways of living. This passage (and others like it) is a warning that deliberately rejecting Christ is a serious matter and results in the loss of salvation.

This passage does not refer to ordinary struggles of living and growing in the faith. It is about apostasy and deliberate rejection of Christ in toto.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.