What does Islam truely teach about the Salvation of Non-Muslims?

Does Islam teach that it is possible for Christians and Jews to attain salvation? I’ve started a thread similiar to this a while ago, and read many different viewpoints that Muslims have on this topic. Certain Muslims claim that anyone who doesn’t go by the Quran is doomed to Hell, and other ones claim that anyone globally who believes in One God and serves Him could achieve it. To the Muslims on this forum, what is the downright teaching about the salvation of Non-Muslims?

[quote=PMV]Does Islam teach that it is possible for Christians and Jews to attain salvation? I’ve started a thread similiar to this a while ago, and read many different viewpoints that Muslims have on this topic. Certain Muslims claim that anyone who doesn’t go by the Quran is doomed to Hell, and other ones claim that anyone globally who believes in One God and serves Him could achieve it. To the Muslims on this forum, what is the downright teaching about the salvation of Non-Muslims?
[/quote]

There’s nothing in the Qur’an that states that you have to be Muslim to enter salvation. Of course, you have to be small-m muslim, but not necessarily big-M Muslim.

By “small-m muslim”, I mean those who submit to God, but who don’t necessarily follow Muhammad’s particular teachings. To wit, from the Qur’an:

“The [Muslim] believers, the Jews, the Christians, and the Sabians – all those who believe in God and the Last Day and do good – will have their rewards with their Lord. No fear for them, nor will they grieve.” [II:68]

“The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day” (CCC 841).

Here’s some links about Catholicism’s view of Islam;

catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0207bt.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0301fea4.asp

[quote=Ahimsa]By “small-m muslim”, I mean those who submit to God, but who don’t necessarily follow Muhammad’s particular teachings. To wit, from the Qur’an:

“The [Muslim] believers, the Jews, the Christians, and the Sabians – all those who believe in God and the Last Day and do good – will have their rewards with their Lord. No fear for them, nor will they grieve.” [II:68]

[/quote]

That’s what I’ve read–that the “people of the Book” will be saved as well as Muslims.

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]That’s what I’ve read–that the “people of the Book” will be saved as well as Muslims.
[/quote]

Peace everyone

People of the book will, God willing, attain paradise only if they have never heard of Islam. Those people who practice their religion genuinly will have their reward with God. However, once you have been introduced to the concept of God in Islam, than you do one of two things

1. reject it
  2. accept it

Whatever action you take you will be held accountable for.

As God is my witness, I say all the above with the addtion of “GOD KNOWS BEST.” IF any Muslim knows better please correct me

[quote=Faith101]Peace everyone

People of the book will, God willing, attain paradise only if they have never heard of Islam. Those people who practice their religion genuinly will have their reward with God. However, once you have been introduced to the concept of God in Islam, than you do one of two things

1. reject it
  2. accept it

As God is my witness, I say all the above with the addtion of “GOD KNOWS BEST.” IF any Muslim knows better please correct me
[/quote]

Is the above found in the Qur’an?

Holy crud…it’s Catholic VS Protestant salvation theology all over again! THE HORROR! THE HORROR!!!

Remember, private interpretation of the Quran is the ONLY authority for Muslims.

(Sura 3:85)
“If anyone desires a religion other than Islam, never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost [all spiritual good].”

As for the thing where non-Muslims can be saved if they’ve never heard of Islam, where is it in the Quran?

1. reject it
  2. accept it

[/quote]

Hi Faith101,

Can you please clarify what you mean by " concept of God in Islam" because I believe that the Jews, Muslims and Christians all believe in ONE God. Funny, because even one Hindu told me that they also believe in one God. Will this concept you are talking about make a difference?

God Bless,

manx

There was a Muslim who told me that that verse meant “Islam” as in anyone who submits to God, whether you’re a Jew, Christian or Muslim.

[quote=PMV]There was a Muslim who told me that that verse meant “Islam” as in anyone who submits to God, whether you’re a Jew, Christian or Muslim.
[/quote]

Maybe. But unless the Quran explicitly states it as such, it will forever be up to the reader’s personal interpretation of that word. :smiley:

EDIT: Come to think of it, I would highly doubt that was the author’s intention, though. It says “if anyone desires a religion other than Islam” in that verse (not “mindset” or “lifestyle” or something vague like that), and Jews and Christians are clearly separate religions.

[quote=exoflare]Maybe. But unless the Quran explicitly states it as such, it will forever be up to the reader’s personal interpretation of that word. :smiley:

EDIT: Come to think of it, I would highly doubt that was the author’s intention, though. It says “if anyone desires a religion other than Islam” in that verse (not “mindset” or “lifestyle” or something vague like that), and Jews and Christians are clearly separate religions.
[/quote]

Hey exoflare

Individual Muslims are not allowed to freely interpret the Quran as they see fit. Only the scholars, the people who have spent their entire lives studying Islam, are capable of doing this.

In Islam, God does not need food or drink. If someone says that He does, than that being that is being referred to is NOT God, or it is someone else. Although for Christians the trinity is One God, the idea that Jesus Christ (pbuh) needed rest means that 1. he is not God or 2. He is someone divine but not God. The former is a form of shirk…which means associating partners with God.

Shirk is the only unforgiveble sin in Islam (if the person dies without repenting, ofcourse)

I will look into this more God willing

[quote=manx]Hi Faith101,

Can you please clarify what you mean by " concept of God in Islam" because I believe that the Jews, Muslims and Christians all believe in ONE God. Funny, because even one Hindu told me that they also believe in one God. Will this concept you are talking about make a difference?

God Bless,

manx
[/quote]

Hey Manx

The Jews, Christians and Muslims believe in one God…but they differ on His nature. The nature of God in Islam is that he is ONE in all sense of the word…one in number, one in uniqueness (no one is like Him) and free from all need, among other things.

If given the oppurtunity, we should all seek the true nature of God, like the Messengers did. Abraham (pbuh) for example lived among people who worshipped God through idols, and ended up worshipping the idols themselves. That didnt make sense to him and so he thought to search for the truth, which was given to him by God himself through revelation. We too must search for that truth, the truth that makes sense to us in our brains and touches our heart at the same type.

I believe that I have found what does that and I bear witness that there is no god worthy of worship but God alone.

[quote=PMV]There was a Muslim who told me that that verse meant “Islam” as in anyone who submits to God, whether you’re a Jew, Christian or Muslim.
[/quote]

Peace PMV

Yes, it can mean anyone who submits to God…the good,practicing Jews, before Christ (pbuh) will have their place in paradise, God willing. The good and practicing Christians before Mohamed (pbuh) will have their place in paradise God willing. Those who have never heard about Islam, and worship God to the best of their ability, will have their place in paradise God willing.

I used to never answer the question about who goes to heaven or hell, and would always say “God knows best.” While this is true, we are given some knowledge of what happens to the people who know about Islam and deny it (for whatever reason, #1 reason is that they choose to just follow the religion of their fathers). The truth is the truth, Jesus (pbuh) did not give up his message…even when everyone wanted to kill him, he did not change it and he did not sugar-coat it.

They do blaspheme who say: “(Allah) is Christ the son of Mary.” But said Christ: “O Children of Israel! worship Allah, my lord and your Lord.” Whoever joins other gods with Allah,- Allah will forbid him the garden, and the Fire will be his abode. There will for the wrong-doers be no one to help. (Chapter #5, Verse #72)

1. reject it
  2. accept it

[/quote]

um… surely everyone in the world knows of i slam. therefore those who are not (Mm)uslims are surely lost. what a neat thought!! i guess i am lost.

i will never abandon my Holy Catholic Faith!

[quote=Faith101]Hey exoflare

Individual Muslims are not allowed to freely interpret the Quran as they see fit. Only the scholars, the people who have spent their entire lives studying Islam, are capable of doing this.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I have some questions, then:

1. What exactly qualifies one as a full-fledged “scholar” of Islam, when there is no definitive authority other than the Quran?

2. Where do these few unquestionably trusted scholars you speak of write down their authoritative interpretations of the Quran to make them known as binding law to all Muslims? (THIS is the reason we have a Catechism, btw, since I noticed you had been wondering lately.)

greetings.

wow, that’s quite a bit of misinformation floating around about what the islamic view of salvation is. first let me start by commenting on some of the things ahimsa posted:

[quote=Ahimsa]There’s nothing in the Qur’an that states that you have to be Muslim to enter salvation. Of course, you have to be small-m muslim, but not necessarily big-M Muslim.

By “small-m muslim”, I mean those who submit to God, but who don’t necessarily follow Muhammad’s particular teachings. To wit, from the Qur’an:

[/quote]

in this worldly life, there are only two categories for people as far as islam is concerned: muslim (one who submits) and kaafir (one who disbelieves). anyone who professes islam and does not have beliefs that effectively take them outside of its fold, is a muslim. anyone who does not profess islam or does profess islam but has beliefs that effectively take them out of its fold (i.e., n.o.i., ahmadis/qadiyanis, and others) is a kaafir. individuals in this life are judged according to what’s apparent from them and what is contained within their hearts is left for Allah to judge. so, if an individual outwardly professes islam, claims to believe in all its tenets and foundations (which includes believeing in prophet muhammad and following his teachings), then he is a muslim. if he doesn’t, then he is a kaafir.

with respect to the afterlife there is a distinction that is made between the muslim and the mu’min (believer). the one who is muslim in this worldly life may not necessarily be a believer in the next. for example, the munaafiqoon (hypocrites). they are those who professed islam outwardly in this wordly life, but disbelieved in their hearts. in this life they are treated as muslims, but in the afterlife they will have the worst of punishments and will abide in the lowest level of hell. this is the the same for the kaafir (i.e., that the kaafir in this worldly life might not necessarily be a kaafir in the next). for example, there are those who did not accept islam and lived this worldly life as a kaafir. some of these people never received the message of islam properly, only receiving a distorted version of it, or they never received it altogether. such people may have an excuse before Allah and will be tried accordingly on the day of judgement. some of these people may be believers in truth, but because they never received the message or received a distorted version of it, they didn’t accept islam. Allah says in the Quran, “whoever is guided, then certainly he is guided for his self and whoever goes astray then certainly it is upon it (i.e., his self). no bearer of burdens bears the burden of another and We are not punishers until we have sent a messenger.” (17:15). this verse is proof that Allah will not punish anyone until they have received the message.

by the way, the reference ahimsa gave for the verse he/she posted is wrong, also the translation provided isn’t the greatest. the verse quoted is 2:62, not 2:68. and there is a similar verse with slightly different wording, 5:69.

2:62 states: “indeed those who believed and those who were jews, christians and sabians, whoever believed in Allah, the last day and did righteous [deeds], then for them is their reward with their Lord and there is no fear upon them, and they will not grieve.

5:69 states: “indeed those who believed and those who were jews, as well as the sabians and the christians, whoever believed in Allah and the last day, and did righteous [deeds], then there is no fear upon them and they will not grieve.

continued…

continuation…

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]That’s what I’ve read–that the “people of the Book” will be saved as well as Muslims.
[/quote]

i assume you’ve heard this with relation to the verse quoted above by ahimsa. many people like to quote this verse to try to support their belief that others may be granted paradise in the hereafter as well. however, those who usually quote this do not do so with the intended meanings of this verse and the others like it. this is why people need to check the explanations for verses in the Quran when they read them. with regards to this verse, its explanation can be found here, the verse is at the bottom of the page, and its explanation is in the 2 or 3 pages that follow. the explanation for verse 5:69 can be found here.

the two verses refer to those who adhered to those religions before the coming of prophet muhammad. so it refers to the jews who lived before the coming of jesus the messiah, the christians who lived before the coming of muhammad, those who did not associate any partners or equals with Allah and believed in what they were obligated to believe in (among which is the obligation to believe in all the prophets and messengers - so rejecting any of them is disbelief). after prophet muhammad’s coming, however, everyone was obligated to believe in him and follow his way. anyone who rejects him has effectively rejected all the other prophets and messengers that were sent by Allah. just as exoflare posted, Allah says in the Quran, “and whoever seeks a religion other than islam then it will not be accepted from him and he will be from the losers in the hereafter.” (3:85) He also says, “o those who believe, fear Allah as He should be feared and do not die except while you are muslims.” (3:102). there is also the verse, “if you love Allah, then follow me (i.e., prophet muhammad) and Allah will love you.” (3:31). and there are many prophetic hadeeths that indicate this as well.

so to answer the PMV’s original question regarding whether or not islam teaches that it is possible for christians and jews to attain salvation, if they received the message and rejected it, then there is no salvation for them as prophet muhammad said, “by the One in whose hand is the soul of muhammad, no one from this nation hears of me, [whether] jew or christian, then dies while not believing in that which i was sent with except that he is from the companions of the fire.” (ref. saheeh muslim).

i hope this clarifies some things…

r.gonzales,

I noticed one of the links you posted just now uses a hadith in its explanations of interpreting the Quran. The thing is, one time when I cited information from a hadith, another person on this board (a Muslim) told me that it didn’t matter because all the hadiths are nothing more than legends and their contents are not guaranteed to be correct. Can you clear this up?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.