What does it mean if you lose a green scapular?

I know it’s a really bad sign if you lose the brown scapular (if you’re dying)

but what about the green scapular??

A while ago, I bought several green scapulars. I gave one to my mom, one to my dad, and kept 2 just in case.

My parents are not Catholics, btw.

I know you’re supposed to say the prayer… I prayed it well at first, but I have to admit I got sort of lazy over time and it became more ‘mechanical’.

Well two days ago or so… my mom’s scapular got lost. I searched everywhere for it, and I can’t find it… :frowning:

I gave her another one, the one I was going to send to my grandmother (I’ll just give her the last one)

But is it really bad that it got lost? Sorry if I sound superstitious lol… it’s just weird… I never expected this to happen.

Maybe this is sort of a lesson to me that I should pray better. :wink:

but do you think that green scapulars can ‘escape’, if they’re not working, lol, (which would be my fault since i’m the one saying the prayer) - or can the devil steal them? lol! Just thinking aloud here… didn’t demons destroy St Gemma’s diary and steal St Padre Pio’s letters.

or does this mean NOTHING at all, and I should just forget about it?

any thoughts?

I don’t know much about the green scapular. I would switch to the brown scapular, because of the promise OL has made to those who are devoted to it. I am curious about it being a bad sign if you loose the brown scapular? I don’t think there is anything that will happen if you loose either scapular, it just gets lost sometimes. I have lost several brown scapulars and simply went out and bought a couple more. Maybe it is because I’m not superstitious about things. I just think God wants me to go to the religious store and spend more money!!! :smiley: Maybe the devil tries to steal it, but some how I have always found mine. Mary is far stronger than the devil and I believe will go to great lengths to protect her children who are devoted to her from him. Why the green over the brown scapular, if I may ask? I am interested in learning more about the green scapular. I love the brown scapular and won’t part with it for anything! Ask St Anthony to help you find it, he is the saint for lost items. Good luck!

:manvspc:

Sorry if I sound superstitious lol.

Too late.

If your Mom is not a Catholic, and she lost the scapular, it simply means, at worst, that it didn’t mean enough to her to keep track of it and hang on to it. I wouldn’t take it to mean any more than that, certainly - and most likely she simply misplaced it by accident.

The cloth is just a symbol; it’s not “magical,” and it doesn’t have a will of its own. It’s the prayers that are the important thing.

Quite.

I think it’s alright if you simply lose it… here maybe this would help, this explains better what I meant :slight_smile:
cmri.org/05-brownscap.html

I have lost several brown scapulars and simply went out and bought a couple more. Maybe it is because I’m not superstitious about things. I just think God wants me to go to the religious store and spend more money!!! :smiley: Maybe the devil tries to steal it, but some how I have always found mine. Mary is far stronger than the devil and I believe will go to great lengths to protect her children who are devoted to her from him.

makes sense :slight_smile:

Why the green over the brown scapular, if I may ask?  I am interested in learning more about the green scapular.  I love the brown scapular and won't part with it for anything!  Ask St Anthony to help you find it, he is the saint for lost items.  Good luck!

:manvspc:

I really want to get a brown scapular too.

Here’s more info about the green scapular: memorare.com/mary/scapulargreen.html

it’s more for conversions and such, that’s why you can give it to others or even hide it in their room :wink: many graces have been received through it BUT it depends on your prayers and confidence in God and Our Lady’s intercession. So we should trust in God not in the scapular itself, but it’s still a sacramental.

just trying to figure it out though :slight_smile:

oh I know :slight_smile: it’s just weird… cause she doesn’t carry it around, it’s always in the same place in her room, and then one day, it just disappeared. She doesn’t know where.

Hi Monica. It doesn’t “mean anything” if you should happen to lose a scapular… or other sacramental. Except, maybe one should be a bit more careful about its whereabouts? :o :wink:

Please do use caution… about such thoughts… because they can easily degenerate into superstition. Trust in Our good Lord, ask Our Lady for her protection… and simply replace the scapulars when you get a chance.

God bless you.

I have worn a brown scapular since my days at Mt. Carmel High School – all the students were enrolled. But I have an interesting story about the green scapular:

Back in the 70s, a local Legion of Mary group had a little storefront near the music/bars/restaurants area, trying to attract young people. They had an open area where kids could hang out, have a cup of coffee or pop, etc. There was also a group of people who served, uh, the other side and they, too, had a similar storefront setup nearby. My friend tells me that the two groups would occaisionally visit each others’ storefronts to shoot the breeze, etc. During one visit to the “enemy’s” storefront, my friend noticed that one of the Legionnaires – an elderly lady – was busy using the heel of her shoe to pound down a corner of the carpet. She “shushed” him when he asked what was going on and, after they had left the storefront, she told him that she had put some green scapulars under the carpets and under the seat cushions. “Coincidentally,” that storefront burned a couple weeks later and closed down. Although I did not witness these events, I trust the veracity of my friend.

God bless,
Dan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.