What does it mean to be a Bible Believing Church?

Loved to hear thoughts on this … for Catholic’s aren’t considered a Bible Believing Church!!! :eek:

In theroy it means that they believe in the bible (usualy sola scriptura) in practice it sometimes means we are the only ons that do all others have the wrong understanding

I think the term is used by evangelicals to refer to any church that looks to the bible as its sole authority on doctrine. In other words, a church that accepts the protestant doctrine of sola scriptura. I find the term to be irksome, because any nominally christian group can say it believes in the bible. I think the phrase should be “bible only”

A more exact term would be ‘Bible Based Christians’ because Catholics believe the Bible as well. I’m a Bible Believing Christian…I read it every day and I’m also a Catholic.

dream wanderer

[quote=Richard Lamb]In theroy it means that they believe in the bible (usualy sola scriptura) in practice it sometimes means we are the only ons that do all others have the wrong understanding
[/quote]

:rotfl:

[quote=Robert in SD]I think the term is used by evangelicals to refer to any church that looks to the bible as its sole authority on doctrine. In other words, a church that accepts the protestant doctrine of sola scriptura. I find the term to be irksome, because any nominally christian group can say it believes in the bible. I think the phrase should be “bible only”
[/quote]

But isn’t SCRIPTURE very clear that you need more than the WRITTEN WORD? Anyone care to comment - to help me understand??? :thumbsup:

[quote=MGEISING]But isn’t SCRIPTURE very clear that you need more than the WRITTEN WORD? Anyone care to comment - to help me understand??? :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Indeed. Jesus said that we were not to live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

I used to belong to a number of these “Bible-believing” churches (Church of God, Anderson, IN and the Wesleyan Church). These are for the most part good, honest, sincere people who really think they are paying God the highest honor by trusting in his written word alone. Generations of Christians in these groups have grown up with this as an unspoken tradition.

With some of them it is still a way of maintaining their identity. Whatever they are, they wish it to be clearly understood what they are not, and they are not Catholic.

Sola scriptura is a way of setting themselves apart from the Catholic Church and clearly shunning those “pitiful, man-made tradtions” that Catholics trust in.

Of course we had our own traditions–sola scriptura being one of them–but we never looked at them that way. To us they were all firmly grounded in Scripture, so firmly in fact that we never questioned them. They were just taken as axiomatic.

Dear MGEISING;

I did not mean to imply that I believed in the doctrine. I was only offering my comment on the term “bible-believing” church. The Bible is quite clear that more is required. See e.g.:

1 Cor 11:2: hold fast to traditions I handed on to you…
2 Thess 2:15: hold fast to traditions, whether oral or by letter…
2 Thess 3:6: shun those acting not according to tradition…

I thinkg the term bible-only is more appropriate because it recognizes the separation of that particular denomination from the Catholic Church. Personally, I find the term “bible-believing” to be slightly offensive, because it implies that any church who would not follow sola scriptura is in error. As a catholic, I take offense at the suggestion that my faith is error.

Tempus Fugit Memento Mori,

[quote=Robert in SD]Dear MGEISING;

I did not mean to imply that I believed in the doctrine. I was only offering my comment on the term “bible-believing” church. The Bible is quite clear that more is required. See e.g.:
Robert in SD

Oh I know …it is just I am so confused about that type of THEOLOGY … when it seems so UNBIBLICAL!!! :eek: :eek:

I welcome you comments - Robert in SD

Thank You! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

[quote=Robert in SD]Dear MGEISING;

1 Cor 11:2: hold fast to traditions I handed on to you…
2 Thess 2:15: hold fast to traditions, whether oral or by letter…
2 Thess 3:6: shun those acting not according to tradition…

I thinkg the term bible-only is more appropriate because it recognizes the separation of that particular denomination from the Catholic Church. Personally, I find the term “bible-believing” to be slightly offensive, because it implies that any church who would not follow sola scriptura is in error. As a catholic, I take offense at the suggestion that my faith is error.

Tempus Fugit Memento Mori,
[/quote]

:amen: You said it. I take offense as well, that’s why I’m here, to try and help people to see the truth of our Catholic faith.

Question: Would you say there is a difference between a ;“bible-believing” church vs. a “bible-teaching” church? I think it describes the same thing, don’t you?

When I’ve met people who belong to a “Bible Believing Church,” they are usually strongly anti-Catholic. Many former Catholics go this route when they leave the Church. :frowning:

[quote=Little Mary]:amen: You said it. I take offense as well, that’s why I’m here, to try and help people to see the truth of our Catholic faith.

Question: Would you say there is a difference between a ;“bible-believing” church vs. a “bible-teaching” church? I think it describes the same thing, don’t you?
[/quote]

I think they are the same. It is difficult for this type of bible-believing/teaching church to see that we are Christians, never mind pay attention to the bible!

Bible believing denominations have an edited (by man) Bible, which they believe to be the inerrant Word of God.

They believe in personal interpretation of that Bible.

They think that since the Bible says that the Holy Spirit will guide in all Truth, then they can read the edited Bible for themselves and perfectly understand what God is Personally willing to convey to them. They are their own authority on Scripture.

Since no two people think, feel, or understand exactly in the same manner, there are tens of thousands of denominations which all claim to be Bible Believing!

Of course, we know that there is only One True Bible, One True Faith, with one true authority established by Christ. Those who universally hold to this belief are the True Bible Believing Church: Catholics! :smiley:

[quote=Panis Angelicas]Bible believing denominations have an edited (by man) Bible, which they believe to be the inerrant Word of God.

They believe in personal interpretation of that Bible.

They think that since the Bible says that the Holy Spirit will guide in all Truth, then they can read the edited Bible for themselves and perfectly understand what God is Personally willing to convey to them. They are their own authority on Scripture.

Since no two people think, feel, or understand exactly in the same manner, there are tens of thousands of denominations which all claim to be Bible Believing!

Of course, we know that there is only One True Bible, One True Faith, with one true authority established by Christ. Those who universally hold to this belief are the True Bible Believing Church: Catholics! :smiley:
[/quote]

When I brought the fact that the Catholic Church (through the Holy Spirit) was the reason why they had a bible (although not the whole bible) my Baptist mother inlaw almost had a heart attack :eek: :eek:

And of course denied that I was telling the truth. But by her standards, I was goig to hell anyway, so I didn’t think I had too much to lose letting her in on that big secret!!! :eek:

My sister who left the church some years ago now only goes “where [she feels] God is being worshipped Biblically”. What that means to her I’m not sure. She will be visiting me and my wife this July and says that she will go with us to Mass. She is not adverse to talking about faith and this visit will be the first in years where we have been together alone. So hopefully we can come to some understanding.

TonyG

[quote=agick]My sister who left the church some years ago now only goes “where [she feels] God is being worshipped Biblically”. What that means to her I’m not sure. She will be visiting me and my wife this July and says that she will go with us to Mass. She is not adverse to talking about faith and this visit will be the first in years where we have been together alone. So hopefully we can come to some understanding.

TonyG
[/quote]

Hi TonyG:

Keep praying and ask the Holy Spirit to work wonders! :slight_smile:
Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

It means it’s a low-brow, intellectually challenged, litugically lacking ‘church’, call me a snob. The pastor tends to quote small snippits of scripture in his long-winded sermons. They all have ‘accepted Jesus into their hearts’, even though that phrase is totally not in the Bible. :smiley:

[quote=MGEISING]When I brought the fact that the Catholic Church (through the Holy Spirit) was the reason why they had a bible (although not the whole bible) my Baptist mother inlaw almost had a heart attack :eek: :eek:

And of course denied that I was telling the truth. But by her standards, I was goig to hell anyway, so I didn’t think I had too much to lose letting her in on that big secret!!! :eek:
[/quote]

You know what, this is exactly the kind of attitude that really steams me. My in-laws are all Baptist but we’ve never really discussed religion. My husband has converted so I guess they aren’t too concerned for his soul becuase they didn’t seem to get upset. ( ha ha)

ANyway, When I get the type of reaction like you got from your mother-in-law, I say “Hey, don’t take my word for it. Go research it for yourself. It’s not a matter of faith, it’s an historical fact.” They never seem to know how to respond to that. Gives them something to think about anyway and I guess that’s what this “game” is all about.

You mean it doesn’t mean to be Catholic? :smiley:

[quote=
]“Hey, don’t take my word for it. Go research it for yourself. It’s not a matter of faith, it’s an historical fact.”
[/quote]

They never seem to know how to respond to that. Gives them something to think about anyway and I guess that’s what this “game” is all about.

I know - I told them that exactly … It isn’t anything new I am saying - it is historical … and they look at me like I have antenna’s coming out of my head! :eek: :eek:

But I guarantee you - they never looked into it … I pray all the time the Holy Spirit will work with them :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.