What does it mean to be a friend of God?

Gospel Jn 15:9-17

I no longer call you slaves,
because a slave does not know what his master is doing.
I have called you friends,
because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.

In today’s (Mother’s Day 2015) Gospel reading, Jesus calls the Apostles friends.
What does it mean to be a friend of God?

-What are the conditions to be this friend?
-If we die in the friendship of God, we live forever in heaven. Otherwise- Hell.
-The saints and angels are our friends, I presume.

He tells us in 9-14:

9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you; abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you.

These quotes do not answer my question. What does it mean to keep his commandments e.g., Love one another. For example, One guy says, “I love many others each weekend, all naked women.” Another guy says, “I love many others. I put them out of their misery and end it permanently all the time. That’s why I keep my knives sharp and my guns loaded.”

Please define friendship and particularly in relationship to God.

You remind me of the one who asked, 'Who is my neighbor?"

Read Luke 10:25-37 The Parable of the Good Samaritan if you are unfamiliar with it.

I am a devout Catholic looking for a way to talk to nonChristians. Please answer my question so that I have an apologetic, a non-threating, non-Christian way of leading someone to the porch of the Church so that when I open the door of Christ to salvation, they can walk through and take a baptismal shower.

Teachings of Jesus in Matthew

1. Be gentile.
  2. Be poor in spirit
  3. Hunger and thirst for uprightness.
  4. Be merciful.
  5. Be pure in heart.
  6. Be a peacemaker.
  7. Let your light shine in people’s sight.
  8. Be reconciled with your brother/sister
  9. Come to terms with your opponent in good time while you are still on the way to the court with him.
  10. Do not swear by your own head either, since you cannot turn a single hair white or black.
  11. Offer no resistance to the wicked.
  12. On the contrary, if anyone hits you on the right cheek, offer him the other as well;
  13. Give to anyone who asks you, and if anyone wants to borrow, do not turn away.
  14. Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;
  15. Your almsgiving must be secret, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.
  16. But when you pray, go to your private room, shut yourself in, and so pray to your Father who is in that secret place, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.
  17. Forgive others their failings, your heavenly Father will forgive you yours;
  18. But when you fast, put scent on your head and wash your face,
  19. But store up treasures for yourselves in heaven.
  20. So do not worry; do not say, “What are we to eat? What are we to drink? What are we to wear?”
  21. Set your hearts on his kingdom first, and on God’s saving justice, and all these other things will be given you as well.
  22. So do not worry about tomorrow: tomorrow will take care of itself.
  23. Do not judge.
  24. Do not give dogs what is holy; and do not throw your pearls in front of pigs.
  25. Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you.
  26. So always treat others as you would like them to treat you.
  27. Do the will of my Father in heaven.
  28. Be cunning as snakes and yet innocent as doves.
  29. Be prepared for people to hand you over to sanhedrins and scourge you in their synagogues.
  30. There is no need to be afraid
  31. Come to me, all you who labor and are over burdened, and I will give you rest.
  32. Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
  33. Renounce yourself and take up your cross and follow me.
  34. If your faith is the size of a mustard seed you will say to this mountain, “Move from here to there,” and it will move; nothing will be impossible for you.’
  35. Change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of Heaven.
  36. And so, the one who makes himself as little as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven.
  37. Jesus said, ‘If you wish to be perfect, go and sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’
  38. Anyone who wants to become great among you must be your servant, and anyone who wants to be first among you must be your slave
  39. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you made me welcome, lacking clothes and you clothed me, sick and you visited me, in prison and you came to see me."
  40. Go, therefore, make disciples of all nations; baptize them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
  41. Teach them to observe all the commands I gave you. And look, I am with you always; yes, to the end of time.’

Corporal Works of Mercy
Feeding the hungry
Giving drink to the thirsty
Clothing the naked
Sheltering the homeless
Visiting the sick
Ransoming the captive
Burying the dead

**Spiritual Works of Mercy **
Instructing the ignorant
Counseling the doubtful
Admonishing the sinner
Bearing wrongs patiently
Forgiving offenses
Comforting the afflicted
Praying for the living and the dead

The kind of answer that is needed for another person depends on knowing that person. After talking with someone, you get the feel of where they are coming from and so the answer will be tailored to meet them at their door. Their ideas and thoughts are important and their outlook on life. A suppose what I am saying is that attitude is important, as well as their value system.

So the question looks simple enough, but then to be effective, it is somewhat important to know their spirit. To reach them where they are.

Some people are just not ready and by explaning friendship of God may just be putting more bullets in their gun to fire back at you. And it might be better to leave well enough alone.

However if the person is genuinely open to this question and seems of good will, then of course the real answer can be given…“I live in you and you live in me.”

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

It is a statement that Jesus is a king and Jesus granting of authority to speak in his name.

Upon this Pilate sought to release him, but the Jews cried out, “If you release this man, you are not Caesar’s friend; every one who makes himself a king sets himself against Caesar.” (John 19:12)

“Friend of Caesar” is an official title bestowed upon those who had rendered faithful service to the emperor or those worthy of speaking in the emperor’s name.

You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. (John 15:14-15)

Caesar had just proclaimed himself “Father of all men.” Jesus is stating that his authority comes from God the Father and that his authority is greater than Caesar’s. It is a statement of Jesus’ divine kingship and a bestowing authority to speak in Jesus’ name.

-Tim-

Stuff about friends from the Bible:

He who is a friend, loves at all times:
and a brother is proved in distress.
(Prov. 17:17)

A friend if he continue steadfast, shall be to thee as thyself,
and shall act with confidence among them of thy household. (Sirach 6:11)

A faithful friend is a strong defence:
and he that hath found him, hath found a treasure. (Sirach 6:14)

A faithful friend is the medicine of life and immortality:
and they that fear the Lord, shall find him. (Sirach 6:16)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.