What does it mean to be closer to God?

When we pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy or the Rosary, it is said that we are brought closer to God. What does this mean to you? What does it look like or feel like to be closer to God?

2 Likes

For me it means keeping God always on my mind so that I’m more aware that He is with me all through the day compared to my old self whose prayer life was more like the occasional phone call where I definitely hang up. It also feels like my will is more easily conformed to His and there is greater peace.

3 Likes

For me, it is a feeling that I am not alone in my struggles or in my happiness. It is a feeling that no matter what is going on in my life, God is there.

6 Likes

Well, when I think of the Divine Mercy chaplet I see Jesus in the Garden looking toward the future and seeing all of us struggling to follow him. I see him betrayed and beaten physically, yet knowing he could stop it at any time… He didn’t. He even allowed his mother to watch the horrors he was put through. His goal was to show us that there is more to this life that what we can identify with our senses and intellect. We have to trust and follow… and God is with us as we go… calling, loving, shaping us for eternity with HIM.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.