What does it mean to be made male and female in God's likeness?

In a Facebook conversation with a friend living with same-sex attraction, I asked him, “What do you think it means to be made male and female in the likeness of God?” In response, he said, “I never really gave much thought to what is the Image of God in reference to our creation but I guess He created us in the basic physical Image of Himself. The rest I leave to the Mystery of God the Father.”

I want to respond to him in a fruitful and loving way, but I’m stuck for a response. To find the right response, I’m reading Part Three, Section One of the Catechism “Man’s Vocation Life in the Spirit.” I’m focusing on articles one and three. However, I’m having problems synthesizing the teaching into one coherent statement. Could you give me some direction? Thank you.

The following links should provide some helpful information for discussing God and gender. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Why is God referred to as a male?
Does God have gender?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.