What does it mean "to believe in Christ?"

“Jesus is my Lord”

It is not unusual to hear such a confession these day’s.

I wonder if it might mean different things; obligate different things, for different people?

pat/PJM

Belief in Christ may be interpreted in various ways, and there may be various human expressions of a relationship with Christ, and we may be gifted with various unique gifts and vocations, but there is only one Christ who is the Truth.

The original meaning was to be a faithful catholic.
But today, this has no real meaning anymore. Many of this people made a fantasy “Jesus” themself, fitting perfect to their own wishes.

I think the traditional Act of Faith sums it up nicely.

O my God, I firmly believe that You are one God in three divine persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I believe that Your divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the holy Catholic Church teaches, because in revealing them You can neither deceive nor be deceived.

Whether advertantly or inadvertantly, Christians use this to assert their belief in the Divinity of Jesus Christ.
Similar to Thomas’ declaration: My Lord and My God.

It is simplified in that it doesn’t expound on nor implys the need to expand the meaning of His Divinity. It simply states it as a matter of course and fact.

Very straight forward if you are talking to other likeminded christians. And, somewhat shielded if you are talking to persons that do not accept or believe in the Divinity of Christ.

For me personally, "believing in Christ" has meant accepting as fact that Jesus is who the Bible says He is, and that He can and will do what the Bible says He can and will do. Of course, accepting that Jesus is who the Bible says He is means accepting that He is Lord, or "da Boss," in the Hawaiian Pidgin translation, which means putting myself in a position of obedience to Him personally, and to the Church that He founded.

=DaveBj;9351939]For me personally, "believing in Christ" has meant accepting as fact that Jesus is who the Bible says He is, and that He can and will do what the Bible says He can and will do. Of course, accepting that Jesus is who the Bible says He is means accepting that He is Lord, or "da Boss," in the Hawaiian Pidgin translation, which means putting myself in a position of obedience to Him personally, and to the Church that He founded.

IS YOU "SWIM SUIT DRY YET?:D

Accepting Jesus of the Bible; that seems very important?

Is it equally important to All catholics AND Chrstian?:shrug:

God Bless,
pat/PJM

TO believe in Christ means, that we beleive in his Fathers words,we beleive that he came to save us sinners,and that he died so that we could return to his Fathers House,at the end of our . Amen

The impression I get from the hoi-polloi is that belief (or faith) means acknowledgement. "I believe in The Lord" translates to "I acknowledge what He has done" as opposed to "I follow, imitate, and obey Him [and His Church]."

To bypass this issue, I tend to use the word "practicing", for practicing the faith includes belief (though now days this isn't always the case).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.