What does it mean to "Believe in Jesus"?

There are many non-Catholic faith traditions that hold that one is saved simply by believing in Jesus. For those of you who believe this, what does it mean, exactly, to “believe in Jesus”?

Thanks to all.

Steve

There are faiths out there that just say they believe in Jesus and don’t do anything else?

This is important so I will give my opinion when there is more time .:slight_smile:

I didn’t say that they didn’t do anything else and I certainly don’t want to put words into anyone’s mouth. But within the OSAS groups especially, it is common to hear that all that is required for out salvation is to believe in Jesus.

For instance, here is a little quote from Matt Slick of CARM.

Therefore, belief in Jesus is enough to be saved

My question is, if this is true, what constitutes “believing in Jesus”.

I’ll look forward to your comments. :slight_smile:

This is a question that I have wondered about as well. I look forward to the answers.

Hi, I understand to “believe in Jesus” means to believe in who he says he is. This to me is a form of Man-ism, where you place a Man in place of God; and put your faith in a human being.

That’s probably a subject for another thread, but we do not believe we are putting our faith in just a human being. We believe Jesus has two natures, one human and one divine, therefore we are placing our faith in God who humbled himself to become man (while giving up none of his divinity in the process). So, agree or disagree with the nature of Christ, it is not *our *belief that we are placing our faith simply in a human being. If Jesus is not God, then our faith is in vain.

That is a good question. I would like to know the answer too. Cuz I used to kind of think the same way. At least I believe in Jesus even though I didn’t follow his comandments. Didn’t end up well for me. So what does other Christains mean when they say that believing in Jesus is enough? What does that require of us?

Never heard of Matt Slick, so I googled! Found this :

I would like to note, that the Jesus of Mormonism (the brother of the devil), the Jesus of the Jehovah’s Witnesses (an angel made into a man), the Jesus of the New Age (a man in tune with the divine consciousness), etc., cannot save you from your sins. Faith is only as good as the person in whom you put it… the Jesus of the Bible. Jesus is God in flesh, the creator. God is a trinity and Jesus is the second person of the trinity.

So it is to put faith in a person, but one who is God also.

He also says Jesus saves you from God, meaning Gods wrath.

So I’d assume he would be saying, and others, that one must believe in the person who was human and divine and also confess sins in jesus name. I haven’t heard of any faith saying all is needed to be saved is a belief in Jesus without doing something, which would be confess.
By the way what does OSAS groups stand for?

Thanks.

Exactly!

Do you mean confess that you believe in Jesus? Is anything beyond this required?

Once Saved Always Saved.

Believing in Jesus means placing our trust in Jesus and having Jesus be a part of our life…It’s more than saying the words ‘I believe in Jesus’ it’s living for God in all that we do, say or think…

To me (as a Catholic) I understand it as…

Believing the Gospel of Jesus according to the Church (who canonized Sacred Scripture and confirms Apostolic Tradition), relying on His grace for forgiveness, forgiving others, and knowing and doing what is pleasing to the Father, through faithfull devotion in the love which the Son has for us.

Basically living in accordance to the Lord`s prayer, right? Pray it and honor it.

I know you are looking for our non-Cat brothers and sisters to define. Thats why I jumped in too, I guess.

Douay-Rheims Bible
***For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting. ***

John 6:40
For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

Once saved always saved - right…:o

Confess your sins to Jesus is what I meant. :slight_smile:

And these verse could make some think that is all one needs to do, believe in Jesus as Gods only son, and not need to do anything special to gain grace and be raised up on the last day.

No one is answering the op’s question! :banghead:

I will try to answer your question as best I can with the information I have. I was a “believe in Jesus” “knowing Jesus as my personal Savior” follower for almost 20 years prior to realizing there was slightly more to it and my somewhat stubborn eyes were opened to see the Catholic Church.

For me, because I cannot speak for anyone else, as it is actually rarely defined beyond that initial statement and private interpretations of what it means are expected, for me, it was a trust that Jesus will deal with whatever is the problem. He will get me through this life, and open the door to the life to come once I pass this life. Just carry on, its all going to be sorted out by Jesus.

I needed a “like” button for your response!!

I’m going to respond as well but like another poster I want to make sure that I use the right words. I think it’s easy for we “protestants” to use that phrase because it’s something we’ve heard and understood for, most of us, a lifetime.

I want to make sure that I can phrase it in such a way that my Catholic friends can understand it as well…

***to be continued…
:stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.