What does it mean to say that God is all powerful?

What does it mean to say that God is all powerful?

Does it mean he has dominion over all things, or that he can do anything conceivable.

Omnipotence is the power of God to effect whatever is not intrinsically impossible.
McHugh, J. (1911). Omnipotence. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. newadvent.org/cathen/11251c.htm

Thanks.

Are there things that are logically possible that God cannot do?

No. God can do anything that is logically possible, but he cannot go beyond logic because logic is apart of his nature. Is he “restricted” by logic? In a sense, yes. But that doesn’t restrict his omnipotence because that only applies to the things he created, and if logic is apart of his nature, it’s not something created.

Well what do you say to this. God’s nature cannot “walk” and walking is possible.

You have been asking a lot of questions and getting various answers. May I suggest that you take a theology course? You can find a lot of good info. on UTUBE. Also you can ask your priest. Good luck and prayers.

I suppose you found the flaw in my logic. :thumbsup: Arghhh I should have thought about it for a second. I mean, it’s logically possible to sin, but God can’t sin.

Lets just say that God can’t do anything that contradicts his nature.:slight_smile:

Well, God can sit in His chair … and show you a few things.

That’s a good way of putting it.

An example of a logical impossibility is a square circle. Logically, being a square excludes being a circle, and vice versa.

True. He could assume a different nature for walking, but the divine nature cannot, as it has no extension in space which is necessary for walking.

According to Holy Scripture YHWH set time back by several hours in an instant. Modern science holds that such an event is a physical impossibility.
And that is what is meant to say that God is all powerful: This inconceivable time jump really happened.

There are things that are logically possible that God will not do, but could do.

Obviously God is neither omnipotent or all powerful. If He was, He would have gotten rid of Flo and those insufferable Progressive Insurance commercial on TV once and for all.:tada:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.