What Does It Mean (To You) To "Live Life For God?"

I am trying to get different perspectives on living for God. Are there certain things to do, ways to act? Is there any way to do this without stopping to think before you do or say anything? I have two kids, 2 and 3 years old, so I may not always have time (or remember) to stop and ask myself if God would approve. I recently started reading a book titled “Catholic & Christian: An Explanation or Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs.” I’m only on page 38, but cannot count the number of times the author has mentioned living our lives for God. I don’t think I have a clear understanding of what that is. Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

My dear friend

Just do everything for God whether you are conscious of it because you have to concentrate hard sometimes and can’t think about God, or not. Do everything because it’s Gods will and do it well and for love of Him and offer all as prayer to God. Work, cleaning, washing, eating, sleeping and everything we normally do is Gods will so long as it’s not evil or sinful, and when we make our morning offering we offer up everything to God - it then becomes prayer. Keeping the presence of God is prayer too- just be conscious your in Gods presence and behave approoriately and it’s prayer. Be completely natural though. With constantly examining things to see if there good or bad this is hard for a while but gets easy so that it’s automatic pilot eventually. Just persevere. It’s good to do a rosary, meditation etc and study as you are, if you can too.

May God bless you abundantly:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

There may be as many ways to live for God as there are children of God. For me as a Benedictine oblate I found a lamp to my feet in how the Benedictines consecrate all time to God and live a life marked by seeking God. As a lay person, the Ora et Labora (prayer and work) of the Benedictine spirit is my path.

God loves those who seek him in all things. He will bless your heart.

Thank you so much for the responses. I never thought of offering up cleaning as prayer to God. I guess I’ve always thought we should offer up bigger things, like winning an award. Thank you so much for telling me about that!

Start by making a morning offering every morning as soon as you wake up, before beginning your day. This is a prayer in which you offer to God everything that you will do that day. Here is one example, or you can do it in your own words:

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys, and suffering of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart: the salvation of souls, reparation for sins, the reunion of all Christians; I offer them for the intentions of our Bishops and of all Apostles of Prayer and in particular for those recommended by our Holy Father this month.

Then, throughout the day, whenever you think of it, offer whatever you are doing to God: washing dishes, driving the kids to school, sitting in traffic, enjoying time with friends or family — anything!

Then at the end of the day, examine your conscience, reviewing your day, thanking God for those times when you had something to offer that was pleasing to Him, and asking His forgiveness for any times when you may have offended Him (you can even offer Him your sinfulness, that He might heal you and transform you into a more perfect image of Himself). Make a resolution of one specific way you want to do better tomorrow.

You feel God in your heart. You follow that voice of goodness caring and having love for everyone. God’s voice of joy in your heart guides you to what you are to do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.