What does Jesus mean by 'many are called, but few are chosen'? Mt 22:14

What is the meaning of this conclusion to Matthew 22:1-14?

It seems to contradict the Fatherhood of God. Are we to understand that the king said ‘my friend’ rather than ‘my brother’ because that person was not Baptized and hence wasn’t an adopted son of the Father? The USCCB’s footnote identifies the wedding garment not as Baptism, but rather as good deeds…

Why would God call* many but only choose a few?

Perhaps related: ronh4 posted several alleged quotations of saints on the fewness of the saved.

• RSVCE2 translation says ‘called’ rather than ‘invited’.

I have always understood it to mean that many - that is, all of us - are invited to His Feast, but because we disregard His invitation/call (through sin and denial of Him) we are not “chosen”. He doesn’t force us to be “chosen” (eg accepted into Heaven) if we don’t want to be, because He gives us free will. I hope this helps!

The answer is in the story: the man who was thrown out of the feast was not wearing the appropriate dress. He had not prepared for the feast properly.
All are called to the feast (God’s love in heaven), but only those who take the time to prepare themselves (on Earth) are admitted.

It’s very similar to Isaiah saying, “Make straight the way of the Lord.” Isaiah 40:3. Only this time we need to make ourselves “straight” for the Lord. If we don’t make our way straight, then the Lord will not choose to travel our road.

I have read that the wedding garments would have been handed out to the invited guests in those days. The king addresses the man as friend, which I would think means he was invited. The man shows up without the preparation that was given by the king. So he was not chosen to stay.

A parable usually has a first intended meaning, but there can be more multiple spiritual meanings drawn from it.

Jesus had called and prepared his people,the Jews, to come to the banquet. The Jews were his chosen and therefore friends. They were called first, but they refused to recognize him for what he was. And therefore declined his invitation.

Then the second group of people, the gentiles, were called, who were those in the byways and strangers. This is principly what St. Paul went after in his journeys and mission.

And then after the invites were sent and responded to, there was a man who was not dressed appropriately for the wedding. This attire was expected at a wedding and was really of an insult to show up without it. This is the spiritual meaning of the absence of God’s beauty in his soul which dresses the soul for God’s eternal banquet, without which one cannot attend. This radiance and beauty of the soul is first bestowed at baptism, but must be maintained by showing this goodness in his behaviour throughout one’s life. So the man was rejected because he did not have the garment of beauty in God’s eye, grace, since he had never accepted it or had lost it.

We get a glimpse of this beauty of soul in the Transfiguation of Jesus, Moses, Elija, where Peter, James, John, could not look at them they were so brilliant. It tells us that every human being in grace before God is just that brilliant if we were given the power in this world to see it. And from this, the more brilliance(holy), the more power before God he has. And so we have the great men and women who displayed this power in their prayers. This also shows that this brilliance(grace) can be increased in a person, so that it isn’t just a matter of being saved, but also of becoming holier, more like to God, as this grace within becomes greater and greater.

Taken in the context of Jesus’ other quotes on salvation I think it means just what is says:

Mt 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Mt 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life,*** and few there be that find it. ***

Lk 12:32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

Lk 13:23,24 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them…Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

:bible1:

Mike

Hi!

…compared with the following:

16 For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world, to judge the world, but that the world may be saved by him. 18 He that believeth in him is not judged. But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment: because the light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than the light: for their works were evil. 20 For every one that doth evil hateth the light, and cometh not to the light, that his works may not be reproved. 21 But he that doth truth, cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, because they are done in God. (St. John 3:16-21)

…in your exegesis you are comparing God’s (the Father) Mercy with man’s acceptance and implying that God’s Mercy is being curtailed by Jesus’ Word.

God’s Mercy is infinite (for God so Loved the world); however, it is man who determines if he will accept God or reject Him (men loved darkness rather than the light).

Ultimately we work out our Salvation… Salvation is free for the taking, through God’s Grace and Mercy; man must choose Life in order that he shall Live! (Deuteronomy 30:19).

Maran atha!

Angel

Substitute the term “called” with “Created” and you have the answer.

God DESIRES that ALL be saved 1 Tim 2:4

BUT in choosing to Create man in His “own image” Gen 1:26-27, with a Soul. mind, intellect and FREEWILL; God both being "all-Knowing and from Satan + Adam + Eve, knew well that what He desires simply was not going to happen.

God commits Himself to OFFER sufficient grace that all men could choose to Know Him, could choose to love Him & could choose to Obey Him. BUT He did not promise to make it easy; as Life itself is the “GOD-TEST.”

Because attaining heaven requires humility and sacrifice; a GREAT many would opt for “MEISM” over God, God’s Church and God’s One true Faith.

Matt.7:
[13] "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
[14] For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

GBY

I see this parable as a message on the Sacrament of Reconciliation. All those who were invited are the baptized, but not all who were baptized bothered to show up. The man who was not dressed for the wedding was not properly prepared. Remember, the Mass is a wedding feast. The Mass is called the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. Jesus is the bridegroom and the Church is the bride. Anyone can show up, but those who are receiving the Eucharist should have their soul properly dressed in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. We are called to baptism, but we will only be chosen if we prepare to receive the Lord.

Originally Posted by ethereality View Post
What is the meaning of this conclusion to Matthew 22:1-14?

It seems to contradict the Fatherhood of God. Are we to understand that the king said ‘my friend’ rather than ‘my brother’ because that person was not Baptized and hence wasn’t an adopted son of the Father? The USCCB’s footnote identifies the wedding garment not as Baptism, but rather as good deeds…

Perhaps related: ronh4 posted several alleged quotations of saints on the fewness of the saved.

• RSVCE2 translation says ‘called’ rather than ‘invited’.end quote

HERE’S WHY MANY ARE CALLED AND FEW ARE CHOSEN

To be CALLED here means to be born literally, as******** 1 Tim. 2:4 testifies that God DESIRES that ALL be saved.

To be CHOSEN then means, NOT “predestination”; rather [God all-knowing attributes of who will and who will not be willing to "pay the asking price for one’s salvation.]

Were we end up for eternity is OUR choice, and the direct consequences of our life’s choices and actions. God “only” AFFIRMS our own choices.

So ALL have an opportunity through God’s GRACE

BUT only a few [compared to the “all”] respond to the Grace and accept and apply it.:o

GBY

Patrick

Ethereality. You asked:

What does Jesus mean by ‘many are called, but few are chosen’? Mt 22:14

It seems to contradict the Fatherhood of God. . . . .

Many are called, but few are chosen

Many are called

Many are called” has to do with God drawing us to Him. God HAS to make the first move towards us. This is a grace.

It is called “God’s prevenient grace”.

Everyone gets that grace.

ALL are INVITED.

(Admittedly, I don’t know why the Gospel says “many” instead of “all” unless it means the same thing here or it was focusing on the parable which would have wider application in principle.)

Below emphasis mine . . . .

JOHN 3:16 16 For God so loved THE WORLD that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

JOHN 12:32 32 and I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself."

1st JOHN 4:19 19 We love, because he first loved us.

CCC 1037a God predestines no one to go to hell . . .

And as PJM said: 1 Tim 2:4.

(All who go to Hell, make that willful choice.)

Few are chosen

The “few are chosen” has to do with not only God drawing us to Him, but OUR RESPONSE to Him.

This is the part of the equation that includes our free will. Not God’s Fatherhood.

CCC 546 Jesus’ invitation to enter his kingdom comes in the form of parables, a characteristic feature of his teaching.261 Through his parables he invites people to the feast of the kingdom, but he also asks for a radical choice: to gain the kingdom, one must give everything.262 Words are not enough, deeds are required.263 The parables are like mirrors for man: will he be hard soil or good earth for the word?264 What use has he made of the talents he has received?265 Jesus and the presence of the kingdom in this world are secretly at the heart of the parables. One must enter the kingdom, that is, become a disciple of Christ, in order to “know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven”.266 For those who stay “outside”, everything remains enigmatic.267

CCC 1037 God predestines no one to go to hell;620 for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end. In the Eucharistic liturgy and in the daily prayers of her faithful, the Church implores the mercy of God, who does not want “any to perish, but all to come to repentance”:621

[INDENT]Father, accept this offering
from your whole family.
Grant us your peace in this life,
save us from final damnation,
and count us among those you have chosen.622[/INDENT]

MATTHEW 22:1-14 1 And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a marriage feast for his son, 3 and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the marriage feast; but they would not come. 4 Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, Behold, I have made ready my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves are killed, and everything is ready; come to the marriage feast.’ 5 But they made light of it and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, 6 while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. 7 The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9 Go therefore to the thoroughfares, and invite to the marriage feast as many as you find.’ 10 And those servants went out into the streets and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good; so the wedding hall was filled with guests. 11 “But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment; 12 and he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, and cast him into the outer darkness; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.’ 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

Hopefully this is helpful for you.

God bless.

Cathoholic

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.