What does Jesus mean in Luke 17:21?

“Neither shall they say: Behold here, or behold there. For lo, the kingdom of God is within you.”-Luke 17:21

What does Jesus mean when He says “the kingdom of God is within you?”

That sort of sounds like Buddhist philosophy where one searches for nirvana inside oneself.

But I know Jesus wants us to get help from Him to help others?

Or does this verse have something to do with the salt and light verse?

Or did Jesus give us the power within us to use it to help others, but always ask God for help?

I’m confused! :confused:

Ezekiel 11:19
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
19 And I will give them one[a] heart, and put a new spirit within them; I will take the stony heart out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh,

1 Corinthians 6:19
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own;

We are temples of the Holy Spirit, thus God’s Spirit lives within us - it is no longer an external, i.e. “we are here, God is there” type of existence, as was thought in prior ages. John 15 is also instructive in this area.

From the Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 21. Is within you. It is with you; your Messias is already come. — He standeth in the midst of you, as John the Baptist told you. (John i. 26.) (Witham)

How can God be any more or less outside than inside?

Being the infinite Entirety, there can be no distinction.

This also helps me understand. “I and the Father are One”.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.