What does Jesus mean in Revelation 19:17-18

John says in Revelation 19:17-18, "Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly in in the midheaven, “Come, gather for the great supper of God, to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great.” What does the angel mean by feasting on flesh? Is it a metaphor or is he just giving a rallying cry before going into battle?

Jesus??? I’m not really sure where you find Jesus having anything to do with this passage.

I was reminded of Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds, myself. :rofl:

John sees an angel in this passage - leading to the the capturing of the beast and the false prophet. I take it as a gathering to devour the early sinful kings, rulers, men, etc.

If you ever saw a battle field after a battle you would see a gathering of birds and if the bodies aren’t removed quickly they will eat the corpses, (you see this with road kill.)
It is also the fact that no one will be around to remove the bodies so the birds will take their flesh.
We are to expect a great war before the return of Christ.

It is a ‘connector’ to Matthew.

Matthew 24.28
For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

Revelation 21.8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

It could also possibly be a reference to the prophecy in Ezekiel 39:17-20, which is thought to be speaking about the final battle on earth at Christ’s 2nd coming.

“As for you, son of man, this is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah says: Say to every sort of bird and to all the wild beasts of the field, Gather yourselves together and come. Gather all around my sacrifice that I am preparing for you, a great sacrifice on the mountains of Israel. You will eat flesh and drink blood. You will eat the flesh of mighty ones and drink the blood of the chieftains of the earth—the rams, lambs, goats, and bulls—all the fattened animals of Baʹshan. You will gorge yourselves on fat and drink blood until you are drunk from the sacrifice that I prepare for you. At my table you will be filled up with horses and charioteers, mighty ones and all sorts of warriors,’ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah."

Ezekiel chapter 38 and 39 expand on this.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.