What does love covers a multiple of sins mean?

In real practical life examples.
Thanks

Try this https://www.gotquestions.org/love-covers-multitude-sins.html

You usually come across concrete examples in stories about the souls in purgatory.

So-- for example-- suppose you had someone who was a very willful person, who committed a lot of sins through their selfishness. But then there are people in danger, and that person puts themselves in danger in order to help save them. Like, say, a drowning child. Or someone had fallen over a cliff and hurt themselves. Or there’s a great storm. So the selfish person forgets his selfishness, and puts his own life in danger to help/save that person in trouble. But suppose he fails, and he dies in the process. That act of sacrifice is viewed favorably— because the one act of genuine generosity counteracts the many acts of selfishness.

But that would be an extreme example. In most cases, it means to have a good heart, to love your neighbor as yourself, to love God above all other things… and if that’s your default attitude and mindset, much will be forgiven. Whereas a person who commits the same sins you do, but doesn’t have that loving/charitable attitude running at the same time, is going to have a harder time of it.

I don’t know about examples but I think it’s the same as the commandments are summed up by love of God and love of your neighbor. If you love someone you want what is best for them. You won’t kill someone you love, cheat on them, steal from them etc.

Well, Jesus’ perfect love for us blotted out our sins and redeemed us. I think that’s probably the best example of this verse.

But putting it into practical examples, these are a few I thought of:

When you patiently bear with a spouse who is tired and cranky, and you ignore the grumpiness and just love him instead of getting offended and upset, that could be an example of love covering sins.

Same with a parent who is patient and loving with an overly tired toddler and cranky baby…loving them despite the irritation is covering their sins.

Being polite and charitable with our co-workers, employees, or members of the public no matter how they’re acting…basically treating other people, even our enemies, with love like Jesus taught us to do.

Interceding on the behalf of others, especially those who don’t know God or are living in sin, like Job who offered sacrifices every day on behalf of his children.

So, if you’re talking about this passage:

Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.

(1 Peter 4:8)

Then, I believe St. Peter, who was writing to Jewish Christians, might have been quoting from Proverbs, and perhaps this passage:

Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

(Proverbs 10:12)

The inference, then, is this: If you love someone, forgive him or her. Nearly any good example of forgiveness will do! Right?

It means acts of charity are good penances that satisfy for sin. It could also be interpreted as perfect contrition, which is based solely on love for God, serving as the basis for forgiveness apart from the sacrament of penance.

Also when you love someone you would do your best not sin in the first place.

I’ve heard someone explain it’s how he’s still married after attempting to take chocolate away from his pregnant wife.

The crucifixion immediately came to mind. The sins committed by the Romans and Jewish leaders that day were grave- the greatest sin humans have ever committed- yet Jesus forgave them, and asked His Father to do the same. It was a sacrifice, and was an act of perfect love which brought about forgiveness for all who seek it.

When I read this verse I think “sins” is too strong a word for us to absorb the intended lesson. Think of the following, as very simple practical examples;

-Someone at work made a minor mistake. I corrected it and will not bother informing anyone.
-My wife left the stove on. I turned it off and did not make her feel foolish by telling her.
-The priest read the wrong gospel today. I did not email him with a correction.

For me, what this passage wants us to learn is- sometimes just let things go because to take action will only make someone feel badly.

Yes I would add this: ‘For charity delivers from death and keeps you from entering the darkness’ Tobit 4:10

Thanks Celticwarlord:)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.