What does Mark 9:40 mean?

Hi

In today’s Gospel reading there is a verse, “For everyone will be salted with fire.” (Mark 9:40). What does that mean?

Thanks.

[quote="Eugene, post:1, topic:316576"]
Hi

In today's Gospel reading there is a verse, "For everyone will be salted with fire." (Mark 9:40). What does that mean?

Thanks.

[/quote]

When I look up that passage in the USCCB's online bible there are footnotes and cross references for that passage.

It would seem that when used as a verb, "salted" means "refined", "purified", and/or "preserved".

Of particular interest are cross-references to Leviticus 2:13 and Colossians 4:6.

Gold is separated from silver by heating it with salt.
Without this purification, the value of coinage could not be judged, in ancient times.
See Wikipedia, “Gold parting”, or “Croesus”.

As the other's have said... tested or purified.

It's amazing how important knowledge of everyday life of an ordinary Jew in biblical times is to understanding the scriptures. We don't understand the meaning of phrases that they would commonly understand.

-Tim-

Hi

In today's Gospel reading there is a verse, "For everyone will be salted with fire." (Mark 9:40). What does that mean?

Thanks.

[/quote]

I think you actually mean Mark 9:48.

D-R Bible, Haydock Commetary:

Ver. 48. [2]For every one shall be salted with fire. The sense seems to be, that every wicked unrepenting sinner (of whom it was before said, that their worm dieth not) shall be severely and continually punished, though not consumed by the fire of hell. --- And every victim shall be salted with salt; that is, even good men shall be cleansed and purified by trials and sufferings in this world, as some victims were to be salted by the law. (Leviticus ii. 13.) (Witham)

I thank you all for your enlightning responses. It is very much appreciated. I understand the verse a bit better now. And yes, my apologies, it should be Mark 9:49 and not v40.

Blessings to you all.

Moreover the Catena Aurea considers that the fire may signify tribulations, grace or Divine love.

Bede: But because the Lord had three times made mention of the worm and the fire, that we might be able to avoid this torment, He subjoins, “For every one shall be salted with fire.”

For the stink of worms always arises from the corruption of flesh and blood, and therefore fresh meat is seasoned with salt, that the moisture of the blood may be dried off, and so it may not breed worms. And if, indeed, that which is salted with salt, keeps off the putrefying worm, that which is salted with fire, that is, seasoned again with flames, on which salt is sprinkled, not only casts off worms, but also consumes the flesh itself.

Flesh and blood therefore breed worms, that is, carnal pleasure, if unopposed by the seasoning of continence, produces everlasting punishment for the luxurious; the stink of which if any man would avoid, let him take care to chasten his body with the salt of continence, and his mind with the seasoning of wisdom, from the stain of error and vice.

For salt means the sweetness of wisdom; and fire, the grace of the Holy Spirit.

He says, therefore, “Every one shall be salted with fire,” because all the elect ought to be purged by spiritual wisdom, from the corruption of carnal concupiscence.

Or else, the fire is the fire of tribulation, by which the patience of the faithful is proved, that it may have its perfect work.

Pseudo-Chrys., Vict. Ant. in Cat.: Or else it is meant, that every gift of our victim, which is accompanied by prayer and the assisting of our neighbour, is salted with that divine fire, of which it is said, “I am come to send fire on earth.” [Luke 12:49] Concerning which it is added: “Salt is good;” that is, the fire of love.

Hi

Thanks.

[/quote]

Mark 9:40 [40] "For whosoever shall give you to drink a cup of water in my name, because you belong to Christ: amen I say to you, he shall not lose his reward."

*This means that God keeps track of our charity. Actions cause consequences. *

Your quote is from Mark 9:48 :)
"And whosoever shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me; it were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he were cast into the sea. And if thy hand scandalize thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life, maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into unquenchable fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not extinguished. And if thy foot scandalize thee, cut it off. It is better for thee to enter lame into life everlasting, than having two feet, to be cast into the hell of unquenchable fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not extinguished.

And if thy eye scandalize thee, pluck it out. It is better for thee with one eye to enter into the kingdom of God, than having two eyes to be cast into the hell of fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not extinguished. [48] For every one shall be salted with fire: and every victim shall be salted with salt. [49] Salt is good. But if the salt became unsavoury; wherewith will you season it? Have salt in you, and have peace among
you

From Haydock's Catholic Commentary "For every one shall be salted with fire. The sense seems to be, that every wicked unrepenting sinner (of whom it was before said, that their worm dieth not ) shall be severely and continually punished, though not consumed by the fire of hell. — And every victim shall be salted with salt; that is, even good men shall be cleansed and purified by trials and sufferings in this world, as some victims were to be salted by the law. Lev. ii. 13. Wi."

GREAT question:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.