What does Mark Souder's resignation mean for abstinence education?

I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff," said Souder in a statement. "In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain. I am resigning rather than to put my family through that painful, drawn-out process... by stepping aside, my mistake cannot be used as a political football in a partisan attempt to undermine the cause for which I have labored all my adult life."

One of the causes Souder is talking about is, of course, abstinence education. As Chairman of the Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources when Republicans held the majority in Congress, Souder was a warrior for abstinence-only sex education and a critic of other forms of sex education, and he repeatedly intervened to make sure abstinence advocates were represented -- even to the inclusion of other experts -- on panels about sexual health. This is an embarrassing moment for the cause Souder spent 16 years advocating for.

TPM, loving it, grabs a video from 2009 of Souder talking about sex education -- interviewed by Tracy Jackson, who according to Fox News is the unnamed "part-time staffer" with whom he's now admitting an affair.
There's your punchline -- "congressman shot pro-abstinence video with his mistress." Just a huge embarrassment.

Teach kids its easy to abstain yet not actually do it. I kinda understand why people push Sex Ed, its more realistic.

voices.washingtonpost.com/right-now/2010/05/rep_mark_souder_will_resign_af.html

It doesn't mean much, but the liberal anti-Catholic newspapers would like it to mean something to demoralize Catholics. A couple of big-time heretics work for the Post.
Obama had already pretty much gutted funding for abstenance programs.

I've lived and worked in and around DC for years. The corruption that goes on in politics unpunished is flourishing. Its not only sex, but bribery, money, trading votes when you believe that half the bill is ethically corrupt, poltical payoffs, not reading bills prior to voting etc. This is not new, its just worse.

It's rare when a human being can spend many years in this enviroment and remain unscathed morally and ethically.
A limit of two years should be required. Those in power will not vote for term limits. Those who care about their souls will self impose term limits for themselves.

God Bless America. We need it ! :signofcross:

[quote="zara905, post:1, topic:200237"]
Teach kids its easy to abstain yet not actually do it. I kinda understand why people push Sex Ed, its more realistic.

[/quote]

Did Souder (or does anyone else) teach that abstinence is easier than learning in school how to have sex and that it is OK to do so as long as you practice contraception?

My understanding of the abstinence message is that while abstinence is not easy in tempting circumstances, it is a wiser choice on every level than contraception, and is thus the more realistic choice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.