What does Mary mean in the Magnificat?

“…because He who is mighty has done great things to me…”

Is Mary refering to her IC, the Incarnation of Jesus, or something else?

[quote="Glennonite, post:1, topic:322920"]
"...because He who is mighty has done great things to me..."

[/quote]

Possibly both, and possibly she understood that more was to come through her motherhood of Jesus as well.

Protestants have pointed out to me that in this same prayer, Mary refers to God as her Savior. (My spirit rejoices in God my Savior
They say that this shows that Mary was not born without original sin, because if she had been, she would have had no need of a Savior.
How do we respond to this?

[quote="Zeno11, post:3, topic:322920"]
Protestants have pointed out to me that in this same prayer, Mary refers to God as her Savior. (My spirit rejoices in God my Savior
They say that this shows that Mary was not born without original sin, because if she had been, she would have had no need of a Savior.
How do we respond to this?

[/quote]

Someone who is protected by God from ever sinning is just as much 'saved' as someone who sins but is forgiven.

Put it this way - if I have been bitten by a deadly snake and you give me the antivenom you save my life. Do you not equally save my life if I am ABOUT to be bitten by that same deadly snake and you catch and kill the snake BEFORE it actually bites and does me any harm?

[quote="Glennonite, post:1, topic:322920"]
"...because He who is mighty has done great things to me..."

[/quote]

Both, of these things and more! In a way Mary is also speaking on behalf of humanity, jew and gentile, in welcoming the promised messiah. Mary's Yes must become our yes to God as well.

As for God being her Saviour, the Church teaches that Christ's eternal Sacrifice was applied in a special way to Mary at her conception. This is technically known as the application of 'Prevenient Grace'.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.