What Does Seperated Brethern Mean?

I often hear the Pope, Priests, whomever, refer to our Protestant Brothers and Sisters as “Seperated Brethern”. How do you explain this? How are they seperated if they know Christ and are true believers? I’m very confused on this. Just heard it said at Mass on Sunday. I know they are seperated from Christ’s True Church, and from the Eucharist, but how do you explain it to them, without appearing prideful and judgmental, like “I’ve got something you don’t”, etc…If a Prot. asks you how they are seperated? what do you say?

Thanks

Part of it lies in the fact that a Catholic would never take the attitude that he has something a Protestant doesn’t, but rather would take the attitude that he has something he wants the Protestant to have, too.

it means that Protestants are going to go to hell if they dont become Catholic

[quote=sparkle]I often hear the Pope, Priests, whomever, refer to our Protestant Brothers and Sisters as “Seperated Brethern”. How do you explain this? How are they seperated if they know Christ and are true believers? I’m very confused on this. Just heard it said at Mass on Sunday. I know they are seperated from Christ’s True Church, and from the Eucharist, but how do you explain it to them, without appearing prideful and judgmental, like “I’ve got something you don’t”, etc…If a Prot. asks you how they are seperated? what do you say?

Thanks
[/quote]

But we DO have something they don’t. That’s the best way to evangelize. You say, “You got some good stuff, but look all the even better stuff you’re missing! Come on over!”

We can’t hide the truth when ecumenizing–that’s false ecumenism. We have to speak the Truth, no matter what, and the Truth is, they are missing things: such as some Divine Revelation (7 books of Scripture as well as Tradition) and most of the Sacraments. They need to know this.

The term is used to highlight the fact, sad as it is, that Protestants are not in communion with us Catholics, though we do acknowledge them to be our brethren in Christ; nevertheless, true communion could not be achieved since they disagree with the Church. We must highlight to them firstly that they are our brothers and sisters in Christ, but also carefully point out that we cannot achieve full unity until we resolve our differences.

Our “separated bethren” are separated from us in that they are not in the Catholic Church. One can use that title without any reference to whether one faith (i.e., the Catholic) is superior to another. It’s simply reality. However, using the term “brethren” shows how highly we love them.

[quote=sparkle]I often hear the Pope, Priests, whomever, refer to our Protestant Brothers and Sisters as “Seperated Brethern”. How do you explain this? How are they seperated if they know Christ and are true believers? I’m very confused on this. Just heard it said at Mass on Sunday. I know they are seperated from Christ’s True Church, and from the Eucharist, but how do you explain it to them, without appearing prideful and judgmental, like “I’ve got something you don’t”, etc…If a Prot. asks you how they are seperated? what do you say?

Thanks
[/quote]

The Sacraments of Initiation are three. Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation. Most Protestants only receive Baptism and never complete their Initiation process. Most choose not to. Therefore they have separated themselves from full Catholic unity.

[quote=adventistnomore]Our “separated bethren” are separated from us in that they are not in the Catholic Church. One can use that title without any reference to whether one faith (i.e., the Catholic) is superior to another. It’s simply reality. However, using the term “brethren” shows how highly we love them.
[/quote]

Hi Friend:

Can you recommend any good tapes to listen to from a former SDA who found the Truth of the Catholic Church? I’d like to give one to my SDA friend.

I believe Michelle Arnod of Catholic Answers was an SDA. I don’t know if she as any tapes. She has an article on Catholic.com about her conversion.

catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9705conv.asp

They also have info on SDA if you search “adventist.”

[quote=sparkle]If a Prot. asks you how they are seperated? what do you say?

Thanks
[/quote]

What would I say?

• "Would you rather I call you “Prodigal Sons and Daughters”?!?!?;)*

NotWorthy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.