What does Simon of Cyrene mean to you?

When you are meditation on Jesus carrying the cross, what do you think of when you come to the passage where Simon helps Jesus carry the cross?

Well, that we’re all called on to ‘take up your cross daily’, that when we do graciously accept the sufferings God sends we, like Simon, help to lessen Jesus’ burden, that we can, by good works, lessen the crosses that those around us are called upon to carry as well.

The story goes that Jesus was so wounded and bleeding that the soldiers didn’t want Him to die before they crucified Him, so they forced Simon of Cyrene to carry Jesus’ cross. At first, Simon was not too please in being ordered like a slave to do this task, but upon seeing Jesus in such a pitiable state, he willingly carried the cross for Him.

In this station, I reflect on the crosses that come my way, large and small and I realize that my suffering does not have to been in vain. I can make use of that suffering by offering it up to God in union with Jesus’ suffering in reparation for my own sins, or for the conversion of sinners and the salvation of souls particularly my loved ones who have strayed, or whatever intention I have.

Simon did not volunteer for the job, but he accepted it. It reminds me that the sacrifices/sufferings that will make us saints are not necessarily those we choose for ourselves, but our submission to those that come our way every day.

Jesus weak and breaking, close to death, falls under His cross and Simon is forced to carry it for Him. This always reminds me - is my defining statement and moment, that Jesus proclaims Who He Is and why He is here…He does not identify Himself with acclaim and success, with the acclaimed and successful, but with appalling failure and weakness, with the failed, failing and weak…not on the pseudo level but in a very real and actual and living manner.

Barb:)

The account of Simon of Cyrene, assisting Our Lord… also reminds us of our frailty as humans… which Our Blessed Lord took on Himself.

Sometimes, in humility… we need to recognize that we need help, and ask for help. Perhaps, this is another reason why we should remember Simon of Cyrene.

I try to remember to thank Simon for helping Jesus in His time of great need and I pray that I will always be willing to help ‘shoulder’ the needs of others.

I prayerfully work on my pride issues all the time. Since Jesus was without sin and he allowed someone else to help Him carry His cross then I too should allow others to help me, even in the most challenging, personal, and humiliating aspects of my life. But just because someone helps doesn’t mean to I let them finish my own work for me. I still need to finish what I need to finish even if I get help.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

When I read On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, who explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors , I learned that the reason why Simon of Cyrene is there to carry the cross of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, is because Jesus’s cross is not complete without ours. I still do not know what that means, actually, but it strikes me as a potential subject for great meditation.

Free information on almost all I know on devoting oneself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
Pereptual online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Wow! Thank you for the question and thank you for the responses!

God bless and Happy Thanksgiving,
Dan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.