What does the bible say about forgiveness of sin?

I am talking in general. I am interested in learning more about this topic. What can I learn from the bible about forgiveness?

Some of you may have been following me for awhile, and have negative opinions about me because I openly speak about being an abuse victim. I am in the process of forgiving the priest who sexually assaulted me and the church that covered it up. It would be very helpful, if you would tell me from the bible about verses that speak of forgiveness.

God is mercy , God is forgiveness. God is also just.

There are quite a few passages about this. Jump on bible hub and do a search.

Both the Old and the New Testaments

Is there some reason you did not actually answer the question? If I wanted to do a search and not have a serious conversation about this, I wouldn’t have wasted time asking on here, I’d have opened up my bible. I dont know where to look exactly or I would not have asked.

I am not engaging with those who just want to fight who have chosen not to like me because I speak the truth. Either answer the question, or go eat your popcorn.

A recap, this question was what does the bible say about forgiveness, not, go look yourself because I dont like you and dont want to help.

I really wish you guys had a thumbs down button on here for all the replies that waste my time and are personal attacks.

There is not a single scriptural reference in any of these answers, so none of you have answered or helped me grow in faith at all with your posts.

She* did answer your question. The entire New Testament is a testimony of forgiveness so if she put all the bible verses related to this topic she might as well just copy and paste the entire New Testament in the reply.

*Or he

One thing the scripture says, is that if we don’t forgive others’ sins, God will not forgive our sins. This is in Matthew 6:15

As i said, I wish there was a thumbs down button for the personal attacks I keep getting. I am not an idiot. I know the books of the bible. I wanted some specific examples.

If you guys will not actually answer the question, I have a Protestant minister friend who loves the scripture that would discuss this.

Colossians 3:12 - 13: Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, lowliness, meekness, and patience, forbearing one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

Ephesians 4:31-32 – Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, with all malice, and be kid to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Matthew 6:12 – (the Lord’s Prayer) And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Matthew 6:14 – For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you.

Matthew 18:22 is the best, in my opinion. Forgive them seventy times seven, said Jesus. I once had a conversation over this scripture with my mother. She was having difficulty getting past an issue she had over feeling belittled and manipulated by someone. When I quoted this and the surrounding verses to her, she perked up and said, “so I only have to forgive a certain number of times?” Clearly she did not want to forgive the other person. I told her that if she is keeping count, then she is not forgiving at all. Forgiveness can be very difficult, and our Lord demonstrated just how seriously he takes it when he forgave those who had brutalized and murdered him, even as they were in the process of doing it. Blessings to you, Nichole.

Forgive your brother 70 x’s 7 times. Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.

If we don’t forgive others we won’t be forgiven our wrongs.

I cannot even imagine how difficult that must be. You are in my prayers.

I pray for your healing, after reading your first thread.

female here, nightshade

These discussions almost always develop into confusion about the relationship between forgiveness and a free pass from justice.
These are two distinct yet integrated things.
It is possible to forgive and still honor justice.
In fact, the two are integrated.

Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.

Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against any one; so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

Let him return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

For judgement is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy, yet mercy triumphs over judgement.

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Do not return evil for evil or reviling for reviling; but on the contrary bless, for to this you have been called, that you may obtain a blessing.

This would be a good place to start. It’s the same passage quoted earlier by @CelticWarlord and @CajunJoy65:

Then Peter came to him and asked, Lord, how often must I see my brother do me wrong, and still forgive him; as much as seven times? Jesus said to him, I tell thee to forgive, not seven wrongs, but seventy times seven (Matt 18:21-22).

Jesus follows that up with the parable of the Unforgiving Servant:

Here is an image of the kingdom of heaven; there was a king who resolved to enter into a reckoning with his servants, and had scarcely begun the reckoning, when one was brought before him who was ten thousand talents in his debt. He had no means of making payment; whereupon his master gave orders that he should be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and so the debt should be paid. With that the servant fell at his feet and said, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee in full. And his master, moved with pity for him, let the servant go and discharged him of his debt.

So the servant went out, and met with a fellow servant of his, who owed him a hundred pieces of silver; whereupon he caught hold of him and took him by the throat, and said, Pay me all thou owest me. His fellow servant went down on his knees in entreaty; Have patience with me, he said, and I will pay thee in full. But the other refused; he went away and committed him to prison for such time as the debt was unpaid.

The rest of the servants were full of indignation when they saw this done, and went in to tell their master what had happened. And so he was summoned by his master, who said to him, I remitted all that debt of thine, thou wicked servant, at thy entreaty; was it not thy duty to have mercy on thy fellow servant, as I had mercy on thee? And his master, in anger, gave him over to be tortured until the debt was paid. It is thus that my heavenly Father will deal with you, if brother does not forgive brother with all his heart.

http://newadvent.com/bible/mat018.htm

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.