What does the Bible say about tattoos

Maybe the lyric has to do with God or scripture?

That’s a fair point. I suppose that song lyrics like “give glory to God” is one thing. It would get old trying to explain to people why a tattoo of “she wore a raspberry beret” is actually about your relationship with God.

yeah the lyrics are related to following Jesus

@b04b03

The Bible says you shouldn’t do it, as in Leviticus 19:28 You shall not make any gashes in your flesh for the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Is it relevant today ,i would say yes! because the Word of God is the same Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. John 17:17 …Word of God is Truth

Yes they where pagan origin,as our bodies are marked by the Holy Spirit ,so you should not have any other mark since you where bought with a prize as said in
Ephesians 1:13 In him you also, when you had heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, **and had believed in him, were marked with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit;**Ephesians 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with which you were marked with a seal for the day of redemption.

We are the temple of the Holy Spirit so we shouldn’t have any tattoos 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own? 20 For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body.

They were only the means or instruments which God used to bring you to Him ,and it is God who inspired you through them ,so all Glory and thanksgiving to God alone ,lest they become a idol of the heart .i thinks you should avoid doing the tattoos and try each day to come close to God through the Catholic Church ,through the sacraments and remain faithful .

Sirach 17:24 Yet to those who repent he grants a return,and he encourages those who are losing hope.Turn back to the Lord and forsake your sins;pray in his presence and lessen your offense.26 Return to the Most High and turn away from iniquity,and hate intensely what he abhors.29 How great is the mercy of the Lord,and his forgiveness for those who return to him!

As already discussed in the thread, Leviticus is not binding on Catholics, and the Church does not forbid tattoos.

As for "glorifying God in your body, " assuming you lead a Godly life, then having a God-related tattoo is just extra icing on the cake.

Tattoos are a matter of personal taste and prudential judgment, only.

No question there are devout Christians that have tattoos. They are no bar in reaching Heaven. However, you should keep in mind there is almost no Christian tradition in having them. How many of the saints - those who are our elder brothers and sisters in the Faith - had them? I don’t know, but surely the answer would be almost none, for no Christian culture (that I have heard of) has ever had a tradition of this. In fact, it would generally have been frowned upon.

Which leads to the most important point: perhaps you could consider using the money you would spend on getting a tattoo to buy some solid spiritual reading, or in supporting your parish, or in charity to the poor…* There are a thousand better uses of your money.

*Trust me, I could grow a great deal in this area myself - lest I sound “preachy”.

Yes i agrees with you

Am Sorry i disagree with you here respectfully

Yes i agree ,with you .God Bless

We no longer live under the Levitical laws. Christ

May I ask a rude question? Isn’t this what tshirts and bumper stickers are for? Why do people feel compelled to have it printed on their actual skin?!

Cuz I feel like it?

That’s… compelling…:rofl:

But it is honest.

Here’s my tatt… soon I’ll be getting my late husband’s name on the same arm. Better than a shirt or a bumper sticker because it’s permanent like my love for both is permanent.

Plus, if I’m ever tempted to sin with that arm, the tatt will stop me in my tracks.

I can’t believe they shaved a bear. :thinking:

I mean, if you don’t want to get a tattoo, that’s cool. Just don’t get one. Nothing wrong with that.

Some Levitical laws are binding, but only in so far as they coincide with moral law (usually they have the death penalty attached if they are still binding, though naturally, the penalty doesn’t bind as that part was a law for the kingdom of Israel).

Pope Benedict XVI said there are 2 types of Levitical law (but it is easier to break it down into 3). There is Civil law which governed the kingdom of Israel (for example for ______ the penalty shall be death. sort of thing), there is Temple law, which is the law of clean and unclean, etc. Finally, there is moral law, the example would be the 10 commandments. Levitical law is binding if and only if it is the last of these: moral law, which is usually indicated by listing death as the punishment for failing to fulfill it, textbook examples are the 10 commandments, which when elaborated on often are punishable by death.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.