What does the Catholic Church say about tattoos?

Whomever it may concern,
I was wondering how the Catholic Church views tattoos. I am 16 years old and do not believe tattoos good because are body is a temple of the Holy Spirit and the bible clearly states in Leviticus 19:28 "do not tattoo yourselves I am God". I tried to tell my friends this but they say that "we just think that it is not a sin, and people who have them shouldn't be so frowned upon and considered "outcasts" and what not" which i don't i just believe we should not do that to our bodies and they only think it is wrong if "you have a bad word or image" they believe scripture or anything that is not offensive is fine.Where can i find something on this. I really want to have a Catholic answer in order to give them the correct info!!! Around my age lots of people think it is fine and would love to have knowledge of how to answer their questions in a Catholic perspective.
Thank You so much in advance and God Bless,
Gabrielle Estrada

The following links should answer your question about tattoos. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Has the church said anything official about body piercing and tattoos?
Is excessive tattooing a mortal sin?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.