What does the Catholic Church teach about Jesus's glorified body?

Does the Catholic Church teach that Jesus is now in a glorified body of flesh? Or do they teach that Jesus is now in a glorified body which is in spiritual form and not of flesh? Or is this something that is debated among Catholic theologians? And does my believing contrary to Catholic teaching make me an Unorthodox Catholic? Please help if you can. This is a very important issue to me. Thank you.

Where would his body have gone after the Resurrection if he did not already have his glorified body?

Here:

Catechism

scborromeo.org/ccc/p122a5p2.htm

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a11.htm

Also Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

129. What is the condition of the risen body of Jesus?

645-646

The Resurrection of Christ was not a return to earthly life. His risen body is that which was crucified and bears the marks of his passion. However it also participates in the divine life, with the characteristics of a glorified body. Because of this the risen Jesus was utterly free to appear to his disciples how and where he wished and under various aspects.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html#I%20Believe%20in%20the%20Holy%20Spirit

Same Human Body He died in; that’s why the tomb was empty.

ICXC NIKA

This. His glorified body is the same body that was crucified. It is real flesh.

It also shows how the bodies of the saved will be glorified after the resurrection.

The glorified body is by definition a body, so He’s not just a disembodied soul like most saints awaiting the General Resurrection, but whether it is made of anything like earthly flesh is an interesting question. It has physical continuity with the body that was buried – the same body stood up and walked out, and it bears the wounds of the Passion – but it has been changed in the same mysterious way that Paul says the bodies of those still alive at the General Resurrection will be.

Yes, but is He in a glorified physical flesh body today? Or is He in a glorified spiritual body today, which is not of physical flesh?

I understand he has his physical body still today, insofar as that can be said to be. I don’t know if it exists in a specific time and place… Exactly where and how his physical flesh exists in communion with God is a bit of a mystery.

I believe that this answers my question,

"1005 To rise with Christ, we must die with Christ: we must "be away from the body and at home with the Lord.“564 In that “departure” which is death the soul is separated from the body.565 It will be reunited with the body on the day of resurrection of the dead.566”

As we die, we will be like Christ and “away from the body”. This is being at home with the Lord. Upon the resurrection of the dead, we will be reunited with our bodies.

Jesus is not now in a flesh body.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Christ’s soul has already reunited with his body on the resurrection. Our own resurrection and reuniting of body and soul is delayed, but his occurred nearly 2,000 years ago.

Yes, He was resurrected in a flesh human body. But, He is not now (today), still in a flesh human body? He is in spirit form,…although still glorified?

Christ’s body and soul have not been separated again. He is still in the flesh, as is the Blessed Virgin Mary, who was assumed body and soul into heaven.

No - when we die we will not be “like Christ and “away from the body”” -

We will be away from our body.

But this is not “like Christ”.

Jesus is RISEN - the resurrected Body remains forever - he is not away from it.

We too will not be “away from our body” when we rise at the Resurrection- our body will be a risen glorified body like Christs.

The Glorified Risen body is our body …but it will be glorified.

It did not end with that “was”. Rather is.

He IS - with the same body. The same risen and glorified body he ate fish with on Easter. The very same body he also appeared and disappeared with.

His body is yes always and forever that same risen and glorified Body of Easter Morning.

I do not believe this. With the apparition of Our Lady of Fatima, only three children among thousands had seen her suggesting that she was in spirit form.

Tis the truth.

A suggestion without foundation.

The Risen Lord could appear differently to the disciples on the road to Emmaus…and not be recognized…he could appear and disappear.

And he ate fish. Told his apostles to touch him…that a ghost does not have Flesh …or bones…as he does. Luke 24:39

Do not confuse the resurrected body with a “revived” body or a brought back to life person. Nor with a ghost.

It is a very real body - but one that is glorified - a rather different reality than anything you have experience of. Ones body now glorified.

Mary’s bodily assumption is a dogma of the faith defined in Munificentissimus Deus.

1. For which reason, after we have poured forth prayers of supplication again and again to God, and have invoked the light of the Spirit of Truth, for the glory of Almighty God who has lavished his special affection upon the Virgin Mary, for the honor of her Son, the immortal King of the Ages and the Victor over sin and death, for the increase of the glory of that same august Mother, and for the joy and exultation of the entire Church; by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and by our own authority, we pronounce, declare, and define it to be a divinely revealed dogma: that the Immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory.
  1. Hence if anyone, which God forbid, should dare willfully to deny or to call into doubt that which we have defined, let him know that he has fallen away completely from the divine and Catholic Faith.

w2.vatican.va/content/pius-xii/en/apost_constitutions/documents/hf_p-xii_apc_19501101_munificentissimus-deus.html

She was assumed body and soul. Jesus ascended body and soul. They are now in possession of their physical bodies.

Jesus’ glorified body could make itself unrecognizable, disappear ar will, appear in locked rooms, etc… I see nothing contradictory of this in the apparitions.

The Risen Lord could appear differently to the disciples on the road to Emmaus…and not be recognized…he could appear and disappear.

And he ate fish. Told his apostles to touch him…that a ghost does not have Flesh …or bones…as he does. See Luke 24:39

Do not confuse the resurrected body with a “revived” body or a brought back to life person. Nor with a ghost.

It is a very real body - but one that is glorified - a rather different reality than anything you have experience of. Ones body now glorified.

Well, sure, but that’s an apparition (literally a thing that appears or is seen). It was not necessarily Mary in her glorified body standing on the earth once again. The experiences may have been projected into the visionaries’ minds directly rather than being physically there with them.

Or maybe it was. Jesus in His resurrected body demonstrated unusual abilities – appearing and disappearing, not being recognized until He chose to – that suggest the glorified body is a strange thing. Selective visibility, audibility, and tangibility may be among its abilities.

In any case, the complete human is body + soul, not just disembodied soul. Jesus and Mary have already experienced that completion and have no need to undergo separation again.

Jesus the risen Lord said -

“See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; handle me, and see; for a spirit has not flesh and bones as you see that I have.” "

Luke 24:39

ewtn.com/v/bible/search_bible.asp RSV CE

Then later disappeared…and reappeared…etc

And much later ascended - that same Risen Lord - ascended. Same risen and glorified body.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.