What does the CC think about the Tango dance?

The tango is a popular dance with its origin in South America,but of international recognition by the UNESCO.
Has our Church ever declared it to be inmodest,or is it OK to dance it?

Not to my knowledge no. Just don't do it in Mass though. ;)

I danced tango for a few years and absolutely loved it. Like with many dances, it can be danced in a vulgar way and made look OTT and flashy. But when danced properly it is really beautiful and elegant with a bit of va va voom. :wink:
I would love to go back to it. One day …

Well I know some movements involve for example:the lady dancer wraps her leg(like hugging) around the male dancer. or when the steps call for passing the legs through
the other dancers’leg.You make call it it vulgar, but it is part of the character of the dance,
very sensual.
It’s obviously ok to dance tango with ones’ hubby, but how about with other people? And in what way is it Ok if it may spark the wrong thoughts? In other way,how different is than inmodest dressing, for example?
Just thinking, but I love to see tango dancers.:slight_smile:

[quote="Tamsulosin, post:4, topic:244046"]
Well I know some movements involve for example:the lady dancer wraps her leg(like hugging) around the male dancer. or when the steps call for passing the legs through
the other dancers'leg.You make call it it vulgar, but it is part of the character of the dance,
very sensual.
It's obviously ok to dance tango with ones' hubby, but how about with other people? And in what way is it Ok if it may spark the wrong thoughts? In other way,how different is than inmodest dressing, for example?
Just thinking, but I love to see tango dancers.:)

[/quote]

Yes I do like tango because it is a sensual dance and beautiful dance. I would not dance the tango with young children around. And certainly not dance it in at church function, but if I was learning tango dance or dancing somewhere where others were dancing it, then I would not have a problem.

Good question. I don't think it's that different if there's modest clothes used. It's not appropriate in all settings, but in the settings that it is okay, I don't have a problem with it.

And guess what, I was raised Church of Christ and then converted to Southern Baptist, so I am totally out of the norm of those denominations lol.

God bless.

Several tangos are part of the ice dancing tests. My husband and his ice dance partner work on various tangos for their competitions.

In fact, even children and teenagers who are working on the ice dancing tests work on tangos! I guess something about doing it on ice with razor-sharp blades makes the dancers forget all about sexual issues with this dance!

[quote="Tamsulosin, post:1, topic:244046"]
The tango is a popular dance with its origin in South America,but of international recognition by the UNESCO.
Has our Church ever declared it to be inmodest,or is it OK to dance it?

[/quote]

Interesting question.I'd like to know this answer too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.