What does the Church really teach about salvation?

Please help me understand. We have Jewish friends who are good, decent people that follow their faith and go to the synagogue on Saturday. They have no doubt heard the name Jesus and have been exposed to the gospels, but they have rejected all of this saying the New Testament doesn’t really add anything with regards to fidelity to the way God wants us to live. I know about “Baptism by Desire”, but doesn’t that require “Invincible Ignorance”? Our friends live in suburban America, not in the middle of China, where a person can truly claim to be 100% ignorant of Christ. So, what is the official church teaching on cases such as these? Can these people be saved living and believing as they do?

I would be very appreciative if you could definitively answer this question which has been bothering me for quite some time.

You guys are great!

The following links should help you better understand Church teaching on salvation. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Salvation Outside of the Church
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
What is invincible ignorance?
Islamics - Hindus- Buddhists - saved without Christian Faith??

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.