What does the church say about same sex attraction and its rooted cause?

I have been told by someone that the cause of this is demonic possession and that casting out demons will heal someone’s sexual orientation. What does the church say about this? I don’t want personal opinions I want to know the church teachings on this.

Is it a teaching that someone can sudddenly be healed into liking the opposite sex, or is this just some backwards view that I was told. I am interested in the churches teaching on this subject and what the Magestirum has to say about it.

I already know acting on temptations is sinful.

The Church teaches that some people experience SSA and that this is a burden. It teaches that it’s an ingrained attraction that people struggle with. It doesn’t really muddy itself in the waters of whether it’s some type of genetic predisposition or an outcome of how the individual is nurtured.

It does not teach that SSA is a form of demonic possession. If demons are involved, it’s generally in the same way they’re out and about tempting everyone else

From the Catechism:

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

No not really. There may be exceptional cases. But it’s not like someone is miraculously healed of wanting to masturbate or wanting to have pre-marital relations with his or her boy/girlfriend. It’s another temptation, though the three may differ in the level of their disorderedness.

The Church doesn’t teach a “cure” method. Some individuals may. But that’s more of a scientific question than something that’s doctrinally based.

This is what I was trying to tell a friend of mine. I am more than a little offended to be told that I must be evil, and possessed by the devil to suffer this temptation. I have confessed it multiple times, I have forgiven those who hurt me. I’ve gone to deliverance ministries, been prayed over, tried casting demons out, I have tried everything except having an excorcism. I don’t think I need an excorcism. I think this is a backwards, hurtful attitude and its one of the things that drives me nuts about Catholics, Charasmatics in particular. I have been in counseling over past abuses as well. I recognize this is disordered and against the natural law. I don’t engage in the behavior but my cross seems to be to bear this temptation. I wish I had more support from the church and less of this.

I wish that people would understand that telling someone something like what I was told about posession causing homosexual temptations and needing an excorcist is likely to drive someone away from God, and not to God. I’m just glad I have the courage to keep pressing on in spite of running into this attitude all the time from people who dont know any better.

This is the only answer.

End thread.

I’m so sorry you’ve met with such ignorance, and you’re absolutely right about what it can do to the people it’s directed at.

I am very sorry to hear that people have spoken to you that way. I see it as very backwards and outdated psychology of little benefit that often does more harm. You sound like a very strong person to bear it even so. It saddens me that this burden you carry isn’t even just an inward temptation that you must struggle with, but that you’re being attacked from outside by the very same people who should be helping you to carry this cross. I hope you do have those in your personal life who are helpful. I admire your persistence in faith.

Your friend sounds like he or she needs to read the Book of Job. They sound like Job’s friends who come by and lecture him that he must jave done something wrong.

Mary, with all respect in another thread you claimed homosexuality was caused by demons. That was when you were asked if you’d considered an exorcism.

That is not what I meant when I said that. I believe that demons influence mankin to commit sins, all sins, not just homosexuality. Saying someone is possessed by Satan is saying Satan owns them and he or she has allowed Satan into their life. I have not done this, so saying this was disrespectful. I never told anyone else that demonic posession made them homosexual. You took it out of context.

Catechism first!

Explore the ministry Courage.

Read their resources.

I don’t know where you live and whether it is a possibility, but my experience is that Benedictines are very non-judgmental about people who suffer temptations of this and other sorts. If there is one nearby please ask to speak to one of the monks or nuns. You’ll find a sympathetic ear as hospitality and listening are a huge part of their vocation. They are also very learned and far more aware of the world’s foibles than their cloistered lives would lead you to believe. And they can give you sound advice on how to live with your cross.

That post was pretty clear. Do you now not think homosexuality is caused by demons?

As I said, I do not believe homosexuality is because someone is possessed by demons. Possession means that someone has purposely let Satan into their lives through evil acts. Knowing full well they are letting Satan in.

Demons tempt everyone to commit all sins. Being tempted by demons does not mean someone is possessed and the devils property. It does not mean that person is evil and sinful. Even Jesus was tempted by demons I dare say you wouldn’t have told him he was evil and posessed for it.

As I said, you took everything way out of context.

Many Saints battled demons. They were not posessed. They were not evil inherently because they were tempted. As I said even Jesus was tempted, and Jesus most definitely was not posessed or the property of the devil.

Thank you for this suggestion. I will certainly have to do that. I haven’t had very much luck getting support with living my cross from the local church and its made it hard for me to be involved in the community, and I cannot just pick up and move. Its not possible.

No, I directly quoted you. I never said you were possessed. If you think you are bring actively influenced by demons you should likely have something done.

Do you think demons make you do all bad things?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.