What does the Church say about the Synoptic Gospels & "Q" document?

Hi all,

I have just started studying a Certificate in Theological Studies, and one of my units is about the Synoptic Gospels.

This unit states that the Matthew and Mark copied the Gospel of Luke because they present information which are identical in nature (down to the wording). It also states that Matthew and Mark both have information which is not present in Luke, and so concluded that there must be another document which they copied their information from. This document is called "Q", and contains all the sayings and teachings of Jesus, but no information about His life or resurrection. However this "Q" document has never been found to be in existence.

How am I meant to go about studying this unit when the introductory topic is claiming that the Gospels of Matthew and Mark were directly copied from the Gospel of Luke and this mysterious "Q" document?

If anyone can shed any information on this topic or the"Q" document, or even provide me with some readings that are useful, it will be much appreciated!!

Thank you all in advance

Garnie

I would recommend:

The Pontifical Biblical Commission’s The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church

and

Pope Benedict XVI’s Verbum Domini

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.