What does the Church teach about evolution?

I had a freind share this article with me today insisting I needed to know about this. I am sure the author has stretched the truth of what JPII said but I would like to know if there is any truth to it.
biblelight.net/darwin.htm

I don’t know if this is an allowed topic but subscribing to the Theory of evolution is fine a long as you don’t try to use evolution to deem God necessary

it is possible that God chose to use evolution - St Augustine write a little about this

as far as I know the Church has no definitive teaching on evolution

but it does have a definitive teaching on GOD created us / the world / the universe , and if he used evolution then so be it

[quote="Kirk_O, post:1, topic:307537"]
I had a freind share this article with me today insisting I needed to know about this. I am sure the author has stretched the truth of what JPII said but I would like to know if there is any truth to it.
biblelight.net/darwin.htm

[/quote]

Please read the entire address.
newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm

From # 5

"Consequently, theories of evolution which, in accordance with the philosophies inspiring them, consider the spirit as emerging from the forces of living matter or as a mere epiphenomenon of this matter, are incompatible with the truth about man. Nor are they able to ground the dignity of the person. "

This is in recognition that natural science is limited to the material/physical world.

In contrast, Catholicism teaches about the fully-complete human person whose nature is an unique unification of both the material world that is visible to us and the spiritual world of God. We are in the image of God.

The Catholic Church continues to teach that two, sole, real human parents founded humankind. It must be remembered that natural science can benefit society especially in the medical arena, but it cannot explain the true human person who has a rational, spiritual soul and who is called by God to share in His life through knowledge and love for an eternity of pure joy.

The Catholic Church also teaches that Original Sin was committed by an actual, real person, biblically known as Adam.

[quote="grannymh, post:3, topic:307537"]
Please read the entire address.
newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm

From # 5

"Consequently, theories of evolution which, in accordance with the philosophies inspiring them, consider the spirit as emerging from the forces of living matter or as a mere epiphenomenon of this matter, are incompatible with the truth about man. Nor are they able to ground the dignity of the person. "

This is in recognition that natural science is limited to the material/physical world.

In contrast, Catholicism teaches about the fully-complete human person whose nature is an unique unification of both the material world that is visible to us and the spiritual world of God. We are in the image of God.

The Catholic Church continues to teach that two, sole, real human parents founded humankind. It must be remembered that natural science can benefit society especially in the medical arena, but it cannot explain the true human person who has a rational, spiritual soul and who is called by God to share in His life through knowledge and love for an eternity of pure joy.

The Catholic Church also teaches that Original Sin was committed by an actual, real person, biblically known as Adam.

[/quote]

Thanks I just read the whole thing and my first instincts where right that the author was either misinterpreting JPII by accident or maybe worse on purpose. I pray my friend is searching for the truth and not a way to save me from the Church.

[quote="mab23, post:2, topic:307537"]
I don't know if this is an allowed topic but subscribing to the Theory of evolution is fine a long as you don't try to use evolution to deem God necessary

it is possible that God chose to use evolution - St Augustine write a little about this

as far as I know the Church has no definitive teaching on evolution

but it does have a definitive teaching on GOD created us / the world / the universe , and if he used evolution then so be it

[/quote]

The Catholic Church's definitive teaching is that when any scientific theory directly opposes Divine Revelation regarding the human person, for example human origin and human nature, that theory is not acceptable.

Would the Church implicitly condemn evolution that is taught in schools since it does not acknowledge God nor Original Sin? I could be wrong but I believe Pope Pius XII condemned any teachings on creation or evolution that leave out God and Original Sin.

[quote="rdouglasc, post:6, topic:307537"]
Would the Church implicitly condemn evolution that is taught in schools since it does not acknowledge God nor Original Sin? I could be wrong but I believe Pope Pius XII condemned any teachings on creation or evolution that leave out God and Original Sin.

[/quote]

It is not that simple. In this century, the evolution model is used in various types of research, for example medical research involving HIV. Since science, itself, is limited to the material/physical domain, it does not cross over to the spiritual world of faith and religion. It is when individuals claim that God is not necessary or that Adam is fiction, that the Catholic Church steps in and says that Divine Revelation contained in its doctrines takes priority.

37 in Humani Generis by Pope Pius XII is a good example of Catholic teachings.

vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_12081950_humani-generis_en.html

The link you provide starts off with:

Pope John Paul II, on the 23rd of October, 1996, while speaking to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences plenary session at the Vatican, declared the evolutionary theories of Charles Darwin to be fact, tacitly acknowledging that man evolved from the apes, and reducing the biblical account of Genesis to that of mere fable!

It should go without saying that we should disregard such anti-Christian, anti-Catholic nonsense.

[quote="rdouglasc, post:6, topic:307537"]

[/quote]

Pythagoras' Theorem, as taught in schools does not acknowledge either God or Original Sin. You cannot teach everything in every lesson.

As to evolution, it is currently a banned topic here, but Catholic Answers does have a piece on it: Adam, Eve, and Evolution.

In short you do not have to accept evolution, but you may as long as you believe that it was a process guided by God and that human souls are directly created, not evolved. Effectively a Theistic Evolutionary position is acceptable but not compulsory for Catholics.

rossum

[quote="rossum, post:9, topic:307537"]
Pythagoras' Theorem, as taught in schools does not acknowledge either God or Original Sin. You cannot teach everything in every lesson.

As to evolution, it is currently a banned topic here, but Catholic Answers does have a piece on it: Adam, Eve, and Evolution.

In short you do not have to accept evolution, but you may as long as you believe that it was a process guided by God and that human souls are directly created, not evolved. Effectively a Theistic Evolutionary position is acceptable but not compulsory for Catholics.

rossum

[/quote]

May I point out that theistic evolution promoted by faith/science groups such as BioLogos is actually, when one gets down to the nitty-gritty, opposed to Catholic doctrines regarding the origin of humankind.

People need to realize that this is the 21st century. Interpretations of natural science have dramatically changed in regard to basic Catholic doctrines such as Original Sin and the mission of Jesus Christ.

[quote="grannymh, post:5, topic:307537"]
The Catholic Church's definitive teaching is that when any scientific theory directly opposes Divine Revelation regarding the human person, for example human origin and human nature, that theory is not acceptable.

[/quote]

IOW science isn't being scientific :)

What kind of catholics are you, heretics… I believe everything the bible and church teaches… If you believe in evolution you are not catholic. we believe what the lord let us know. Not what so called science tell us, that is satan at work… Dont be luke warm…
Learn Ur faith.

[LEFT]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/QATC.gif
[/LEFT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.