What does the Church teach about the Neocatechumenal Way?

Are you folks familiar with the Neocatechumenal Way movement ? I understand from members of the way that it is a new Charism in the Catholic Church providing catechesis for adults in a community atmosphere?

In the Archdiocese of Agana Guam, there appears to be a rift in the Church between members of the way and those who are not in the way. I have been reading that the Way, has been around since 1960 and have flourished in certain communities, with approval from Rome and several Popes, I have also come across documents indicating that they are a source of division in certain Church communities and have been banned?

Please help me to understand more about this new group, its leadership and if they are in fact fully approved?

God Bless You all.

ram671

These links should be helpful for understanding the status of the Neocatechumenal Way. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Neocatechumenal Way Liturgy

Are There Cults in the Catholic Church? by Jay Dunlap

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.