What does the priest say?

What are the words that the priest says for absolution in Confession?

In the Roman Rite: “God, the Father of Mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

This is the essential part: “I absolve you from your sins”.

God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins;
through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

The penitent answers: Amen.

The above seems correct from what I can remember. The other formulation I believe is something like:

Dominus noster Iesus Christus te absolvat; et ego auctoritate ipsius te absolvo ab omni vinculo excommunicationis et interdicti in quantum possum et tu indiges. Deinde, e**go te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

May our Lord Jesus Christ absolve you; and by His authority I absolve you from every bond of excommunication and interdict, so far as I can and your needs require. Thereupon, I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. ]

Obviously the above is only when I go to confession at the FSSP parish, but wanted you to have a complete answer. :wink:

You left out the:

Passio Domini nostri Jesu Christi, merita Beatae Mariae Virginis et omnium sanctorum, quidquid boni feceris vel mail sustinueris sint tibi in remissionem peccatorum, augmentum gratiae et praemium vitae aeternae.

At the end. Granted, it’s optional and our new FSSP priest doesn’t say it :(, but we must be thorough! sigh I miss hearing my favorite Latin word pronounced (quidquid).

If we are being thorough… :wink:

This is the Byzantine (Greek, Antiochian, etc) absolution:
“God it was who forgave David through Nathan the Prophet, when he confessed his sins, and Peter weeping bitterly for his denial, and the sinful woman in tears at his feet, and the Publican, and the Prodigal Son: May that same God forgive thee all things, through me a sinner, both in this present world, and in that which is to come, and set thee uncondemmed before his dread Judgement Seat. And now, having no further care for the sins which thou hast declared, depart in peace.”

Here is the Slavonic (Russian, Ukrainian, etc) Byzantine absolution:
“My child, N. N., may our Lord and God Christ Jesus by the mercy of His love absolve thee from thy sins; and I, His unworthy priest, in virtue of the authority committed to me, absolve thee and declare thee absolved of thy sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, Amen.”

Thank you! :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.