What does the RCC teach about cremation?

I am just wondering if there is an official stand taken by the RCC on cremation of one’s remains after death? I was raised in a Catholic orphanage from 6 years old, and I think I was taught not to be cremated,does the church teach one way or the other? Or is it up to the individual?
Thanks for clearing this up if you can…Don

[quote=donbjc]I am just wondering if there is an official stand taken by the RCC on cremation of one’s remains after death? I was raised in a Catholic orphanage from 6 years old, and I think I was taught not to be cremated,does the church teach one way or the other? Or is it up to the individual?
Thanks for clearing this up if you can…Don
[/quote]

The Catholic Church has not prohibited cremation for several years. Previously it did for reasons that applied at the time, mostly anti-Christian views of the resurrection of the body at the end of time.

Today the Church allows cremation. It suggests burial of the body, however when good reason is found for cremation, including economic reasons, the Church allows it. The ashes are however to be treated as a body would and be buried.

Thank you so much for answering my question. I am not going to be cremated, but my sister chose that as her form of disposal at death and so many friends are choosing cremation over burial, that I just wanted to be clear on what the church’s position is.
Thanks,
Don

CCC 2301 Autopsies can be morally permitted for legal inquests or scientific research. The free gift of organs after death is legitimate and can be meritorious.
The Church permits cremation, provided that it does not demonstrate a denial of faith in the resurrection of the body

scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2301.htm

The Church allows cremation as long as it isn’t intended as a smack in the face to God or His teachings (re: ressurection of the Body). I do not believe that the Church allows for one to spread their ashes, however I could be incorrect. Burial of the ashes in an urn seems to be a proper way to go.

The Church had outlawed cremation previously (not because of doctrine), but because it had been in use by several Gnostic sects (like the Cathars) to deny the ressurection of the Body because of their belief in reincarnation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.