What does this mean?

I am converting so don’t be to harsh when I ask this. During Mass today I noticed that during reading of the Gospel after the priest said something (I can’t remeber, it wasn’t the gospel but, one of the other phrases that surounded it) eavryone took their thumb (I think) and touched their forehead, then their mouth (could have been the nose the closest person to me was a bit of so could have been the nose) then the solerplexis. What does this mean?

When the priest says “a reading from the Gospel of St. name of Gospel writer” the people stand and make a small Sign of the Cross on their forehead, lips, and heart. When doing this, they pray silently that the Gospel may be in their mind, on their lips, and in their heart.

I’m a convert, so I had tons of questions. There are many good books out there which explain some of these little things that lifelong Catholics may not even think about but converts ponder.

I found one book called “Understanding the Mass” that might help you to worship more fully during mass because you will understand what is happening. I also received a book from the RCIA ministry called “Handbook for Today’s Catholics” that had things like how to make the sign of the cross, how to say a rosary, what was a novena, etc. You can find lots of books at good Catholic websites that also have stores. Our Sunday Visitor has a bookstore. Also see if your local parish has a library for books or tapes. We have one but it is not well advertised.

I will pray for you as you continue your spiritual journey.

[quote=Cactus]When the priest says “a reading from the Gospel of St. name of Gospel writer” the people stand and make a small Sign of the Cross on their forehead, lips, and heart. When doing this, they pray silently that the Gospel may be in their mind, on their lips, and in their heart.
[/quote]

It is a tradition that goes back to the 9th century

The significance of the threefold signing is that we want to hear the Holy Gospel with an open mind, proclaim it with our lips, and cherish and safeguard it in our hearts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.