What does this mean?

“…there are some here that will no taste of death until they see the son of man (Adam) coming.”

:confused:

Some think that Jesus is referring to the Transfiguration that follows. Others think He is referring to His post resurrection appearances.

Just before this in Matt 16:27, Jesus speaks of His coming in judgement. It seems more likely then, that He is talking about His coming in Judgement on Jerusalem in 70 AD, an event that took place within the lifetime of “some” of His disciples.

The language of “coming” is used in the OT to describe God’s coming in judgement on pagan nations (Isa 19:1).

“there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom”.

His kingdom might actually refer to the Church here.

God bless, V.

He did say to peter when he was talking to John, “What is it to you if I would have him live until I return? Follow me.” Of course John supposedly died. But bodies mean nothing… idk

This note from the Ignatius Study Bible is very helpful:

“Jesus promises that his kingdom will arrive within the lifetime of his contemporaries. This points to the birth of the Church in general (22:28–30) and to the destruction of Jerusalem in particular (21:31–32). The downfall of the city (A.D. 70) will mark a turning point in salvation history that signals the expiration of the Old Covenant kingdom and the definitive establishment of the New.” (Ignatius Study Bible, pp 125-126).

Great. Now exactly when was the birth of the church? When he gave them the power to forgive sin and bestow the Holy Spirit? “As my Father has sent me so I send you. You go and you forgive sin…”

The birth of the Church took place at Pentecost, the event you mention was a sort of foreshadowing of Pentecost.

The Church was born in 30 AD, then there is a 40 year period of overlap between the old and new covenant, an opportunity for the Jews in Jerusalem to convert before the judgement in 70 AD.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.