What does this mean?

I just texted my baptism sponsor about a problem I am having. I made a mistake reporting for unemployment, reported the mistake myself, and I will owe $1,000 which is my fault, I just hope I don’t go to jail. She said tell Father (embarassing), he will probably have an answer. So I did, and he said he didn’t think jail would happen, and that he would pray. I told my sponsor what Father said, and she said “he is a very holy man”. What does that mean?

Your sponsor probably feels that since your priest lives a holy life, he’s a good man to have praying for you.

“…pray for each other, that you may be healed. For the fervent prayer of a righteous man prevails much.” – James 5:16

I agree with Father’s remark that jail is unlikely. I am not very familiar with the law, but since you reported the error yourself, I think no prosecutor would touch this case. However, you may end up owing the $1000, and you may have to pay it back when you are able.

Congratulations on becoming a new Catholic!

You are in my prayers. May the Holy Spirit assist and guide you always toward faith, hope, and love.

You made a mistake; it is not a sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.