What does this mean???

I’ve been reading in the paper about several priest in my area that have been defrocked due to the scandals. For several of them it says, they are “now leading a supervised life of prayer and penance.” What does that mean exactly? Are they relaxing in a retirement home? Am I footing the bill to house and feed a pedophile every time I put my money in the plate?

Other than prayer, are these priests required to DO anything to repay the community for the damage they’ve done?

Here’s a funny quote from Andy Rooney regarding prisoners. I think it’s we should do the same thing with defrocked priests:

“I think they should have to run twelve hours a day on a treadmill to generate electricity. And, if they don’t want to run, they can rest in the chair that’s hooked up to the generator.”

Just kidding, of course—but really—what do these guys do all day and how do they earn their keep?

[quote=Jospry]I’ve been reading in the paper about several priest in my area that have been defrocked due to the scandals. For several of them it says, they are “now leading a supervised life of prayer and penance.” What does that mean exactly? Are they relaxing in a retirement home? Am I footing the bill to house and feed a pedophile every time I put my money in the plate?

Other than prayer, are these priests required to DO anything to repay the community for the damage they’ve done?

Here’s a funny quote from Andy Rooney regarding prisoners. I think it’s we should do the same thing with defrocked priests:

“I think they should have to run twelve hours a day on a treadmill to generate electricity. And, if they don’t want to run, they can rest in the chair that’s hooked up to the generator.”

Just kidding, of course—but really—what do these guys do all day and how do they earn their keep?
[/quote]

It says they are leading a SUPERVISED life. If these Priests are true pedophiles, I hope they mean NO ACCESS to kids.

Well, the “surveys” are not very encouraging…must be an awful lot of Priests under “supervision!”

See: religioustolerance.org/hom_rcc.htm

Conclusion: If we assume that all of the estimates are of equal validity, then about 33% of priests have a homosexual orientation – about one in three.

However, as Father Donald Cozzens has written: “Beyond these estimates, of course, are priests who remain confused about their orientation and men who have so successfully denied their orientation, that in spite of predominately same-sex erotic fantasies, they insist that they are heterosexual.” 11 Many define “homosexuality” in terms of actual same-sex behavior. They regard themselves as not homosexual because they have never acted on their fantasies, desire and orientation. To that might be added an unknown percentage of priests who have a bisexual orientation, and consider themselves neither homosexual or bisexual.

See also: beliefnet.com/story/104/story_10451_1.html
washtimes.com/national/20041115-124042-2061r.htm

Supervision is not sufficient…REPARATIVE THERAPY is required
and those who cannot make the transition to heterosexual identity must be laicized… that way we are not supporting those who have commited crimes and are not able to be helped.

S.S.A is a cross for many people… usually due to some childhood trauma involving sex and helplessness… and so they try to recreate their trauma hoping to be in control…and have a different outcome…but it never works… It is akin to Post Truamatic Stress Disorder…in my opinion. Women who have had abortions undergo the same thing…that is why there are so many repeat abortions…and so much alcohol and drug abuse and domestic violence in their lives…if they have never been healed from the experience… over and above Confession.

Yours for “LIFE” Granny D

Sorry Granny, but what you’re talking about sounds like a lot of psychobabble BS. I’m not interested in funding their “treatment”. I don’t believe there really is any treatment that works anyway. That’s how the church got in trouble in the first place—“treating” them and putting them back near kids to re-offend.

What I wanna know is----what works are they doing to support themselves and repay the community?

If the priest was truly defrocked for molesting a kid, then they should also be in jail…we should get rid of the statute of limitations on child abuse, the same way there isnt one for murder, arson, or forgery in many states.

[quote=beagleresearch]Well, the “surveys” are not very encouraging…must be an awful lot of Priests under “supervision!”

See: religioustolerance.org/hom_rcc.htm

Conclusion: If we assume that all of the estimates are of equal validity, then about 33% of priests have a homosexual orientation – about one in three.

[/quote]

From the link you referenced:
What percentage of priests have a homosexual orientation?

Nobody knows, with any degree of accuracy.

Any discussion of the role of homosexual orientation in the priesthood – in fact any discussion of clergy abuse itself – is hampered by a lack of hard, reliable data.

Unless this changes, it’s all speculation.

Of course a Priest should be put in jail if he has molested a child
Judicial punishment is not in question… Whether or not they can be helped is the problem. The scandals in the Church are not so much pedophilia… but Homosexuality… as most of those molested were of an age…that while still children…they were in that part of their sexual development as to be of interest to those who had homosexual problems. Therefore since there has been much research… www.narth.com and other organizations that do research and Reparative Therapy…successfully to at least a third of their patients… I think we need to look at the roots of Homosexuality and where it comes from and how to heal those who are struggling with it.

Yours for “LIFE” Granny D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.