What does this passage Jn 6:36-40 mean in context?

John 6:36-40 ““But I said unto you, that you also have seen me, and you believe not. All that the Father giveth to me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me, I will not cast out. Because I came down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him that sent me. Now this is the will of the Father who sent me: that of all that he hath given me, I should lose nothing; but should raise it up again in the last day. And this is the will of my Father that sent me: that every one who seeth the Son, and believeth in him, may have life everlasting, and I will raise him up in the last day”

God Bless you,
Patrick

Been there, done that with this passage…I contemplated that single passage for a whole hour in Adoration.

Here’s what I got…
It’s the Bread of Life discourse, it’s Eucharistic. If I recall the preceding verse is about the Manna from heaven, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
He tells us that we have seen the bread from heaven and still do not believe

What I kept thinking was, how do we, in this day, “See” the Son. There is only one way…In the Eucharist we “see” the Son and believe it to be Him.

For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day.

What follows this…the jews murmur. Is this not Jesus the son of joseph? Do we not know his father and mother?

Isn’t this just bread…Do they not know that all we “see” is bread.
But for those of us who “see” through the eyes of faith, we see the Son!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.