what does this symbol mean?

Hi everyone,

I’ve tried searching for this symbol… but I don’t know what it’s called or means so I’ve kinda got stuck lol

It’s on a page at the start of my bible and also on the zip…

I’ve seen it before. It’s a big ‘M’ with a bar through the M… and then a cross on top of the M…

it is quite possible that it’s totally meaningless lol, or some boring publisher mark, but I’ve seen it in two different places. Does anyone have any ideas?

It’s the symbol on the back of the Miraculous Medal.
http://www.amm.org/images/mmedals/mmback.jpg

***The Meaning of the Back Side of the Miraculous Medal ***
The twelve stars can refer to the Apostles, who represent the entire Church as it surrounds Mary. They also recall the vision of Saint John, writer of the Book of Revelation (12:1), in which “a great sign appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of 12 stars.” The cross can symbolize Christ and our redemption, with the bar under the cross a sign of the earth. The “M” stands for Mary, and the interleaving of her initial and the cross shows Mary’s close involvement with Jesus and our world. In this we see Mary’s part in our salvation and her role as mother of the Church. The two hearts represent the love of Jesus and Mary for us. (See also Lk 2:35).
amm.org/medal.htm

awesome… thanks for your reply. I’ve never seen one of those medals before… though I think the thing on the zip might be one as it has Mary on the other side now i’m looking at it lol, I haven’t read this bible version before as I usually read the King James :slight_smile:

S

Hey Abira!
So it’s a Catholic version, right? Good choice, I recommend you stick with this one from now on. Why? Because it has all the books that make the Bible whole! :thumbsup:

<<Because it has all the books that make the Bible whole!>>

So does the complete KJV, Gandalf, though I admit it’s difficult to find them in the Yew Ess of Aye.

you mean like this one
The Bible: Authorized King James Version with Apocrypha

They do have “amazon.com” in the “Yew Ess of Aye” don’t they?
:rolleyes:

So does the complete KJV, Gandalf, though I admit it’s difficult to find them in the Yew Ess of Aye.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

neither did I lol… I don’t think I’ve ever seen that KJ version… though to be honest the term ‘apocrypha’ is a relatively new one to me… I bought this version to check them out…

at least I know what the medal is now though lol

S

Abira,

here is some more info about the Mircaculous Medal:
childmary.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16

thanks water… some strange stuff about promising indulgences on there but the rest of it was interesting lol.

S

Have you read about Indulgences? :slight_smile:
catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9411fea1sb1.asp

nope… I’ll add it to the list Water :)… I think it’s something to do with ‘paying off’ the debt owed by sins that have already been forgiven… I don’t know quite how doing an action or simply wearing a medal can automatically work off any of this temporal debt yet, but I’ll search through some other threads… it’ll be somewhere lol

or there’s catholicism for dummies lol

S

Yes, please do read. There is no magic in wearing medal or scapular.

yeah it’s something I need to get clear in my head…when I see something that guarentees an indulgence it kinda reminds me of selling indulgences… and i think that you have to feel sorry rather than just go through actions just to get something… however I’ll have to read up cos this stuff confuses me :slight_smile:

S

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.