What does this verse means in Hosea 11:9

I am God not Man, a verse used by Arians

Hosea 11:9
I will not execute My fierce anger; I will not destroy Ephraim again. For I am God and not man, the Holy One in your midst, And I will not come in wrath.
How do you defend the diety of Jesus

[quote=marlo]I am God not Man, a verse used by Arians

Hosea 11:9
I will not execute My fierce anger; I will not destroy Ephraim again. For I am God and not man, the Holy One in your midst, And I will not come in wrath.
How do you defend the diety of Jesus
[/quote]

Ok you may not understand this, but the word had not become flesh, Jesus had not been born when that was written.
We are getting once again bogged down with trying to understand the Triune God, and that’s not an easy thing to do.
In the prayer of the Angelus, we say, "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, but in Hosea Jesus (Emmanuel) had not been born.

How about in numbers 23:19

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good

how do we refute this?

thanks

[quote=marlo]How about in numbers 23:19

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good

how do we refute this?

thanks
[/quote]

Like above the word hadn’t been made flesh, pray about it . :smiley:

Ok have to go, I have a life you know :wink:

Many people (including the Arians you referred to) have been led into error by pulling one or two verses out of context and building an entire theology around it. This is a classic case.

Taken in consideration with the rest of the Bible, especially the revelation foreshadowed in the OT and fulfilled in the NT that Jesus is divine, the most you can get from these verse and verses like them is that God is not exactly like human beings. It says nothing about Jesus specifically.

both responses are right…

notice in both instances, it’s in the present tense…

I am God and not man… ie: i am not man…

God** is** not man, neither not the son of man…

and both instances were hundreds and hundreds
of years before the Word was made flesh in
Jesus Christ…

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.