What does this verse realy mean in our reality Now?

. You know I've been striken by this verse in, John 12:25
Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their lifein this world will keep it for eternal life.

I'm hoping the answer may be on how anyone "feels" what it means than just a Thought.

This is related to attachment to things of this world. A person who loves their life or anything in it more than they love Christ will lose their life in Heaven, but those who think their lives are less important than their love for Christ will gain eternal life with Him.

Thank you St francis. . For that answer. . It,s good to know that it has nothing to do with real hate of ones life but the THINGS in life. . because i’ve always thought that life is a gift from the almighty.

Beautifully stated…

I would just add that this verse needs to be seen in light of Mt 22:36-40 and the two great commandments.
The second of the great commandments is to love your neighbor as yourself. If you hate yourself, then how can you love your neighbor as God commands us to?
It is only by having a proper love for God (above all else) and having a proper self love (as a child of God) that we can properly order everything else in our lives.

Now the OP is asking for how this “feels”.

Feelings will vary of course and feelings do not necessarily reflect who I am (or aspire to be) at all times. But - I think that the “feelings” that we want to look for in our lives are those that are tied to the heavenly virtues.
For myself, I find joy - humility - surprise - sorrow - and empathy are good, common “emotional” responses that I have.
But then I have to battle emotions like despair, depression, pride, greed and anger.

I dunno - - Am I answering the question or getting off track here…???:shrug:

Peace
James

To love life in this world is to forget or reject that we are called to a fuller, more abundant life in the next world. If our hopes are on this world, we shall die, and lose everything. But if we hope in God, then our life here will be fulfilled.

=Bruincello;11344670] . You know I’ve been striken by this verse in, John 12:25
Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their lifein this world will keep it for eternal life.

I’m hoping the answer may be on how anyone “feels” what it means than just a Thought.

THANKS FOR ASKING:)

The meaning has NOT changed from the time it was taught by Christ to the present and onward:

It means that we ALL MUST place God FIRST and everything and everyone below Him.

**Here’s the evidence:

Isaiah 43: verses 7 & 21 **

Verse 7: “And every one that calleth upon my name, I have created him for my glory, I have formed him, and made him.” … Verse 21: “This people have I formed for myself, they shall shew forth my praise.”

It is the primary reason for mans existence.:thumbsup:

God Bless you!

If your final purpose in life is to preserve your life and the goods of this world, then you will inevitably be frustrated, because we all die. You will, in the end, lose everything.

But if your final purpose is to glorify God, then you will be able to enjoy life, even in this world, as a gift from God.

Edwin

I don’t keep track of such things as what we should love and hate. Those are very abstract. I can’t name any or all of the things I’m supposed to hate, for example.

I hate sin, starting with my own. I hate others’ sins, but I sympathize, or is it empathize, with the problem of falling into sin. Sin has such an allure – it always looks like the right thing or the good thing, when it is not.

This kind of verse from Christ, if it does nothing else, will keep us on our toes about what we do all the time.

It seems like a good thing, for example, to indulge children with toys. The toys are so expensive, to begin with. But, certainly they enjoy them so much. They spend hours playing electronic games and watching tv. But, how do we draw the line for them, when we use the toys to show our love for them? we want our kids to have the learning experiences which come from the toys. I’m not a parent, but it seems it would be a challenge to keep kids’ heads in the right place, spiritually.

AND THEN, I visited a friend’s house and saw the hundreds, if not thousands, of DVDs that were there. It was no surprise to me that their kids, as adults, do not even go to church. They have been distracted by all these non-Biblical, non-Christian Hollywood role models. I didn’t say anything to my friend and his wife. I was astonished by their household income, to be able to buy all these DVD’s in the first place. They were even a temptation to despair for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.