What does this verse tell you,For there is one God, and one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus:

For there is one God, and one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus:

5 “One mediator”… Christ is the one and only mediator of redemption, who gave himself, as the apostle writes in the following verse.

6 Who gave himself a redemption for all, a testimony in due times. 7 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher and an apostle, (I say the truth, I lie not,) a doctor of the Gentiles in faith and truth. 8 I will therefore that men pray in every place, lifting up pure hands, without anger and contention. 9 In like manner women also in decent apparel: adorning themselves with modesty and sobriety, not with plaited hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly attire, 10 But as it becometh women professing godliness, with good works.

6 “a redemption for all”… He is also the only mediator, who stands in need of no other to recommend his petitions to the Father. But this is not against our seeking the prayers and intercession, as well of the faithful upon earth, as of the saints and angels in heaven, for obtaining mercy, grace, and salvation, through Jesus Christ. As St. Paul himself often desired the help of the prayers of the faithful, without any injury to the mediatorship of Jesus Christ.

It means that Mary and the saints are still intercessors. Also, Mary, herself is the high mediatrix of graces from Jesus. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t change a thing with Jesus as mediator with the Father.

Jesus is the one intercessor between God and man because He is both God and man. No one can fill that role except Jesus.

But thank God He also gives us many faithful friends as intercessors between wretched us and Himself. Heaven is a family. Family talk with one another and help one another. In the end, all in heaven will be one, one body of Christ, one big happy family.

Jesus is our “mediator” because He’s both a part of us, and a part of God.

It’s funny how the belief in angels totally discredits what Protestants have to say about this subject :slight_smile:

What do you mean? Can you specify?

The word angel, and their function, literally means messenger, as in they have relayed messages to and from God to people throughout history.

Protestants will say, this verse says that we can only speak to God through Jesus (or something along those lines). But angels have been performing this function as well, based on the Protestant interpretation of the word. So if they obviously don’t understand the passage correctly, understanding it in light of angels seems to open the door for the intercession of saints.

God bless :slight_smile:
Ljubim

Good insight. Never thought about that before. Yes angels perform wonderful functions for God. The Angel Gabriel even had the power to punish as He saw fit, as in the example of Zechariah, who was struck dumb by Gabriel because he didn’t believe in the news brought to him.

Thank you too! I didn’t remember that it was an angel who made Zechariah mute. I guess I don’t know as much about Gabriel as Michael (my patron saint :))

Obviously, scripture portrays the role of angels as delivering messages from God to us.
Curious, is there a scripture reference where angels carry a message back to God from us?

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.