What does Twitter mean?

I think I’ve got that word right? What does it mean?

Thanks!

From Wiki:

**Twitter **is a social networking and micro-blogging service that allows its users to send and read other users’ updates (known as tweets), which are text-based posts of up to 140 characters in length. Updates are displayed on the user’s profile page and delivered to other users who have signed up to receive them. Senders can restrict delivery to those in their circle of friends (delivery to everyone being the default). Users can send and receive updates via the Twitter website, SMS, RSS (receive only), or through applications such as Tweetie, Twitterrific, and Feedalizr. The service is free to use over the web, but using SMS may incur fees.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter

Here’s a link to my local radio station’s Twitter:

twitter.com/jeffandjer

Yeah, I don’t get it, either. I’m more of a Facebook person myself.

I don’t get it either? So it’s like a constant stream of status updates? People who do that on facebook crack me up…

Yellowbird is hungry…

Yellowbird is making a ham sandwich

Yellowbird is out of mayo… GRRRR!

Yellowbird is full and wondering what to do next?

:rolleyes:

Looks like you’ve got it, that’s pretty much the essence of Twitter :smiley:

It’s a neat idea but it doesn’t have a whole lot in the way of legs. The site doesn’t allow messages of more than 140 characters, so what gets posted tends toward the banal while more newsworthy stuff goes past the limit. It can be helpful in keeping track of friends but that’s about it.

I’ve also heard that Twitter runs rampant with viruses and such on its site so be careful. I haven’t really got into the Twitter craze yet for that exact reason. Just can’t be too careful when it comes to the internet especially in this day and age. :wink: God bless.

Curtis

I love Twitter. You can sign up and get updates from newspapers and others and get news much quicker than any other format. I even love Twitter so much that I have it in my signature! :thumbsup:

I take it that you haven’t had any virus issues with Twitter in the past? I’d be willing to try it out if I got some official confirmation that Twitter is relatively safe. Nothing is 100% safe on the internet though.

The quality of Twitter messages depends upon the thoughtfulness of the person sending the message. Some people do send useful Tweets, such as links to good sites, or breaking news. But some folks send out nothing but dross.

I don’t receive SMS tweets because I would have to pay for them, and unfortunately, Twitter no longer works for email. So it isn’t very useful for me.

Here’s McAfee’s report on it. siteadvisor.com/sites/twitter.com

Apparently it’s safe, except for some links provided by users.

Thank you for that! I guess I could give it a try once I find out if any of my family or friends are on it. MySpace, YouTube, FaceBook and now Twitter…What’s next? lol

Plurk! That’s whats next!

plurk.com/

2009 is the year of Twitter! (It is also the year of Saint Paul)

Those who don’t get Twitter, probably never will. Patric Madrid is even now on Twitter! I’ve actually decided to give up social networking for Lent and Twitter is the biggest sacrifice of all the other social networking sites.

If you’d like to see a list of Catholics who are on Twitter check out this new site called CatholicTweet, which was created by the same guy who created flockNote.

I have posted quite a bit about Twitter and flockNote over on our blog (www.catholictechtips.stblogs.com)

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter (I won’t be back on until after Lent though)

[LIST]
*]My Personal Twitter
*]Catholic Tech Tips’ Twitter
[/LIST]

God Bless,

Joshua

Viruses? I’m on a Mac!:thumbsup:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Yeah, I mean who’s actually interested, right?!

Plus, did you hear about that new cell phone feature where you can track all your friends’ location at the moment by satellite? Jeez, people should exercise some privacy! I could understand if you want to share details of your personal life with close family and friends, but broadcasting everything to the world is a bit silly. No wonder you hear so much about people getting fired from their jobs or divorces occuring as a result of facebook comments.

That’s the new thing?

OK, I’m predicting that the next online hit of 2009 will be a service called, “Blorpsfds”. In 2010, it will be “vbiufgdshfiuewhfiu”. Quite a few new words to add to the English dictionary. :smiley:

That’s the new thing?

OK, I’m predicting that the next online hit of 2009 will be a service called, “Blorpsfds”.

Though Facebook ripped off the idea from Twitter, as did MySpace, and Plurk, and MyChurch.org, and countless others, Twitter is different from these in a couple of different ways.

Some of the diffrent ways include:

[LIST]
*]The Twitter API allows for people to create specific apps that run on the backbone of Twitter. This is why Twitter is becoming so popular. Here are The 100 Most Popular Twitter applications
*]“Twersons” within the Twitter community continue to come up with innovative new lingo for Twitter (suchas the common “RT” or “@”, which have now become the norm)
*]Twitterers have implemented hash tags (which look like “#” followed by a key word)
*]You can now tweet from hundreds of different sources (Twitter itself, apps, other sites, text message, ect.)
[/LIST]
So, as you can see, there is more to Twitter than just posting what you had for breakfast.

Here are the 5 stages of Twitter (for the people who still don’t get it)

http://catholictechtips.stblogs.com/files/2009/03/five_stages_of.jpg

Check out Catholic Tech Tips for more helpful Twitter tips.

CTA:

Thanks for the p.s. I was wondering if it was Chicago Transit or Call to Action. I figured it must be Call to Action because what were the odds of it being Chicago Transit? Then bingo! I saw your signature note I ride both CTA and Metra regularly.

I love Twitter. I follow people who post interesting things, such as comedian John Cleese, MST3K writer Bill Corbett, and cartoonist David Malki; along with Catholic bloggers like Patrick Madrid and Fr. Zuhlsdorf, politicians like John McCain and Karl Rove, and news Tweeters like Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit. I use a standalone application called Twhirl so I don’t have to keep reloading a web page for updates. When a tweet comes through with a link to an interesting blog post or news story, all I have to do it click on the link in Twhirl and it opens the link in Firefox. It has proven to be a huge timesaver for me.

If you view Twitter as just an app for status updates then you completely miss its point and real potential.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.