What does "worship" mean to Protestants?

Just as the title says – Protestants, what does it mean to worship something or someone?

Well, JMJ, why don’t you go first, and tell us what it means to you as a Catholic.
Jon

I think the question was directed to you, Jon! :stuck_out_tongue:

I worship God. Honor Mary. A typical Catholic’s answer.
But a protestants answer may be quite different.

So what? I think Jon has a very point for reference.

Gladly. First of all, another word in English for worship is adoration and in Latin the word is latria. I will quote from the Catechism, which in the glossary states:

WORSHIP: Adoration and honor given to God, which is the first act of the virtue of religion (2096). Public worship is given to God in the Church by the celebration of the Paschal Mystery of Christ in the liturgy (1067).

We can now look up those sections in the Catechism.

Paragraph 2096 is in the section dealing with the First Commandment. It states:

Adoration

2096 Adoration is the first act of the virtue of religion. To adore God is to acknowledge him as God, as the Creator and Savior, the Lord and Master of everything that exists, as infinite and merciful Love. “You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve,” says Jesus, citing Deuteronomy.(⇒ Lk 4:8; Cf. ⇒ Deut 6:13.)

2097 To adore God is to acknowledge, in respect and absolute submission, the “nothingness of the creature” who would not exist but for God. To adore God is to praise and exalt him and to humble oneself, as Mary did in the Magnificat, confessing with gratitude that he has done great things and holy is his name.(Cf. ⇒ Lk 1:46-49.) The worship of the one God sets man free from turning in on himself, from the slavery of sin and the idolatry of the world.

It goes on a couple paragraphs further:

2099 It is right to offer sacrifice to God as a sign of adoration and gratitude, supplication and communion: “Every action done so as to cling to God in communion of holiness, and thus achieve blessedness, is a true sacrifice.”(St. Augustine, De civ Dei 10, 6 PL 41, 283.)

The other section, 1067, is in the area dealing with the Liturgy and the Sacraments. It is in the Liturgy that we unite ourselves to Christ’s once for all sacrifice and the most perfect form of worship.

1067 “The wonderful works of God among the people of the Old Testament were but a prelude to the work of Christ the Lord in redeeming mankind and giving perfect glory to God. He accomplished this work principally by the Paschal mystery of his blessed Passion, Resurrection from the dead, and glorious Ascension, whereby ‘dying he destroyed our death, rising he restored our life.’ For it was from the side of Christ as he slept the sleep of death upon the cross that there came forth 'the wondrous sacrament of the whole Church.”’(SC 5 # 2; cf. St. Augustine, En. in Ps. 138, 2: PL 37, 1784-1785.)

For this reason, the Church celebrates in the liturgy above all the Paschal mystery by which Christ accomplished the work of our salvation.

A little later in paragraph 1070 the Catechism quotes the Vatican II document Sacrosanctum Concilium, the document dealing with the Liturgy. It quotes:

The liturgy then is rightly seen as an exercise of the priestly office of Jesus Christ. It involves the presentation of man’s sanctification under the guise of signs perceptible by the senses and its accomplishment in ways appropriate to each of these signs. In it full public worship is performed by the Mystical Body of Jesus Christ, that is, by the Head and his members.

From this it follows that every liturgical celebration, because it is an action of Christ the priest and of his Body which is the Church, is a sacred action surpassing all others.
No other action of the Church can equal its efficacy by the same title and to the same degree.(SC 7 # 2-3.)

I’m sure he does…I think you misinterpreted what I said. :confused:

I don’t think so.

Don’t go there sister

Let’s cut the ‘he said, she said’ nonsense and get back to the topic at hand please.

For Lutherans, the Divine Service is our reception of God’s gifts to us - His Word and Christ’s body and blood in the Eucharist. The ‘worship’ is us repeating back to Him what He has said to us in the scriptures and thanking Him for the gifts He’s given to us.

The CCC 2096 & 2097 give a great definition of “Worship” for any Christian, IMO.

This is just my opinion, but I believe the essence of worship is to entrust yourself wholly (body, mind, and soul) to the care of another. This is done chiefly through prayer. So when Protestants see Catholics “consecrating” themselves to Mary, that is, entrusting their life to her intercession (rather than to the intercession of Christ before the Father), they conclude that Catholics are in fact worshiping Mary, even if they themselves refuse to admit or believe that that’s what they’re doing.

My family are Protestants and to them, from what I can gather, it means “Singing Songs”. They have a section in their Liturgy although they call it a Service that is called “Praise & Worship” which comes before the Sermon of their Pastor. All that occurs during the Praise & Worhip is singing either the congregation or the choir or both.

It is in the Catholic Mass, that actually “Worship” takes place when we all get on our knees before the awesome representation of Calvary - praying and adoring Jesus who is before us - Flesh and Blood.

Singing songs is nice and we do that too, but singing should never be confused with worshiping.

So does that mean that a child worships their parents? After all, a child to a certain must entrust entirely themselves to their parents.

Of course, I think this is a major problem in dialogue between Catholics and many Protestants – we mean different things when we say the same thing.

You have your genders mixed up. Maybe you should join the Episcopal church where it doesn’t matter.

LOL…the Episcopal Church is definitely a morals-free zone! LOL…I love the word “transgendered” that they use. A disturbing thought knowing that Father Anderson might really be part Mother Anderson and God knows what else! LOL…Liturgical Tootsie! I got busted by some pie-in-the-sky liberal leftie Episcopalians a few months back for posting a picture of Dustin Hoffman as Tootsie on a thread and calling him/her the new presiding bishop of TEC. They loved that joke! lol:D

I assume you meant to say “a child to a certain extent.”

If it’s only to a “certain extent”, then no, they don’t worship their parents.

No I meant to a “certain age”.

Know what, JMJ? In many ways, and in a general sense, I find myself in agreement with what you say, here. I think it could be said, however, that Lutherans tend to express things more passively.
Example. You said: *"It is in the Liturgy that **we unite ourselves *to Christ’s once for all sacrifice and the most perfect form of worship." We would probably say Christ draws us to unity with him.

Yours is a well put together post. Nicely done, and thanks.
Jon

OK, but I still don’t think that the child’s subservience to his parent is the same as consecrating yourself to a god or saint. As I said in another thread, worship is sacrifice, but that includes sacrifice of the self. Protestants worship Christ chiefly by dedicating their lives to him (“surrender your life to Jesus”). Singing songs is part of that, but it is not the essence (else you’d be worshiping your favorite rock band next time you go to their concert).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.