What does your church, denomination, or religious tradition teach about homosexuality?

In this question, I am mainly curious about various religious traditions’ current teachings and understandings, not necessarily your own personal interpretation of the Bible or understanding of this issue.

It would be helpful if you give a general answer but also include pertinent information regarding:
(1) What does your tradition say about gay marriage?
(2) What does your tradition say about homosexual orientation?
(3) What does you tradition say about ordaining gay persons to ministry?
(4) How inclusive would you say your tradition is, in regards to including gay people?

*I come from the Catholic Church, so I am not so much looking for a Roman Catholic perspective. I am especially interested in how other Christian groups view this issue.

The act is a sin, the temptation is not, marriage is impossible.

Anyone else?

Also please mention what perspective you speak from.

A lot of Protestant denominations don’t have a written or set confession of their teachings and so this issue is left up to private interpretation of scripture.

No that’s not true.
Every Protestant church I was in years ago had some type of doctrinal statement, even independent ones who believe in Scripture Alone. Reformed churches usually adhere to historical confessions.

But a lot of them do have a position on homosexuality.
For example, even the Disciples of Christ (First Christian Church), which rejects creeds, has generally accepted homosexual relationships and gay clergy.

Officially?

Or what we later find out some of the not so good “teachers” were doing?

As a Catholic, my Church’s teachings are pretty well known … and available in detail in the Catechism.

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

The condition of the person is one thing (not sinful in itself … but as we all have, there are particular temptations to resist and overcome). The practice, engaging in the activit(ies) that are sinful, especially involving another person, is objectively sinful and mortally so. Like other sins, these can be repented of and forgiven, and graces given by God unto the sinner doing better.

An instructive hypothetical case so plausible that it more probably has happened than not IMO:

Some damage done by sinners cannot be so easily repaired in this life though. A person infected with AIDS who had abstained from sex out of his concern for the safety of another, might be tempted to become active again by that same partner and assurances of “safe sex” from less than honest condom makers.

Should that person give in, become active, and find that “the safe sex condoms failed” due to lack of quality, misuse, unforeseen difficulties in putting it on or taking it off – thus infecting said partner (whether unto death or merely to the very sick level), confession and absolution will not make that reality and its consequences “never to have happened.”

Though the Lord is ready to forgive His beloved children with a purpose of amendment and put their (former) sins as far away from them as the east is to the west. Though our sins may have stained our robes scarlet, He can make them as white as snow.

This Good News is of course for all sinners, not just those tempted by homosexuality

Those are the basic distinctions … the invitation … and the encouragement that calls us to better than excusing our lower nature and using others unto our own harm and theirs.

May someone who needs to see this be blessed by it. And be not discouraged, the Lord can help you to stand … and walk away … into a better life (even if the first steps seem impossibly hard). :crossrc:

One of THAT kind of denomination in action

:grouphug: - OK guys huddle up. Rather than a planned play – Everybody just – figure out what works best for you.

THAT should work!"

“Who made HIM Captain?”

Yeah I’m Catholic and I said that I wasn’t really looking for Catholic answers.

Seems more welcoming than a lot of churches I can think of.

Also, my cousin is a pastor of D of C church, and I greatly respect her,

Oh. How many different ones were you in? Allegra just said “some” … so it might be “true” there. I might add per the phenomena of “Cafeteria Catholics” some of these make their own rules for themselves (this again is beyond the sin topic of the thread).

It’s hard to write all of those paramutations down though, I went with the Catechism for the Catholics and left the novelties of self-directed Catholics out. But there are some. Wrong mostly.

Oops. My bad.

Or good … if I was supposed to post anyway. :hmmm:

:slight_smile:

I looked into Lutheran (ELCA) once. They have no fixed position on the morality question, with elements (in political circles, I guess you’d say “factions”) holding a number of distinct positions. Consequently, individual churches tend to align with one of these positions. Positions range from being ok with SSM through to very close alignment with the Catholic position at the other end of the spectrum. SSM is a matter for each minister - they may or may not conduct ceremonies according to their personal belief.

There is a Missouri synod of the Lutheran Church, and I think this Church opposes SSM (perhaps someone confirm).

1. There is no such thing as gay marriage. Marriage is a sacred institution; it is not something that can be played around with to suit one’s fancies. Comparing the proper coupling of Adam and Eve [peace be upon them] with two men or two women is blasphemy.

2. I’m not aware of any Qur’anic verse or authentic hadith that mentions the orientation. Not because the people of said scriptures were unenlightened, but because they believed that God can change a person and give them a brand new self. Hardly anyone believes that today.

3. The only way I can understand that is that you’re asking about someone who is openly homosexual and is promoting it. If so, it is utterly out of the question, just as affirming an alchoholic imam or an adulterous imam is out of the question.

4. It’s inclusive towards everyone who has the will to believe, but not every homosexual has that will. In many passages in the Qur’an, homosexuality is identified as being a grievous sin. It is possible for a homosexual to be a muslim, so long as he/she recognizes that these desires come from the ego and they are not appropriate to act upon. I have counseled quite a few homosexuals. Even some of Allah’s true servants experience homosexual desires.

A homosexual is certainly not hopeless. They must recognize who they are by what God says, not by what the anthropologists or trendy bloggers say. They can be muslims, albeit, muslims who are struggling to control a problem they have (like struggling to control desires to steal, murder, slander, etc).

What you have said is correct for both synods. Indeed there are some astoundingly faithfull ELCA churches that remain in the ELCA so as to give comfort to believers and to call others to repent.

Well, here is something I can totally agree with Muslims on! I wish the people who represent voters here in the US actually represented Christian voters.

Well said drac

Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
A lot of Protestant denominations don’t have a written or set confession of their teachings and so this issue is left up to private interpretation of scripture.

I can’t find the word “some”, can you?
:cool:
It’s a slander on Protestant churches to claim they have no confession or doctrinal statement.
I know what I am talking about.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.