What does your parish offer children and young people after 1st communion classes

I have been going to a Catholic church for about the last 15 months and I have noticed that there does not seem any programmes/clubs/activities for children and young people in our parish which I feel is a really shame and seems not to encourage young catholics with the same faith values a chance to get to know each other.

I am just wondering what / if there are any programmes/clubs/activities are avaliable in your parish for children and young adults?

In our parish we have “Religious Education” and “Sacramental Preparation” as separate groups.
“Religious Education” is covered *every *year through 8th grade (I believe) - either through our Parish Catholic school, or through the PREP program (for those who attend other schools).
The “Sacramental Preparation” classes only start up in the months prior to receiving the particular Sacrament. ALL of the kids (both from the Catholic school and all others in the PREP program) are combined for Sacramental Preparation. You have to be enrolled in Religious Education (either the school or PREP program) in order to go to the Sacramental Preparation classes. So you can’t just jump in for the Sacraments and then leave and forget about Religious Education for the remainder of the years. If you skip Religious Education after the early Sacraments (Reconciliation and First Eucharist in 2nd grade), then this will DELAY your Confirmation (8th or 9th grade)… they basically want to ensure that everyone receiving the Sacraments are PRACTICING Catholics…

High school kids have a youth group program, but at that point the formal “Religious Education” classes are over.

In our parish, as with most parishes in the area, everything stops after Confirmation (9th grade, usually). It's sad, but very common. I grew up in an evangelical Protestant church where there were well-attended Sunday School classes for everyone, so it's still hard for me to grasp how most Catholic parishes have so little besides Mass.

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:2, topic:225429"]
In our parish we have "Religious Education" and "Sacramental Preparation" as separate groups.
"Religious Education" is covered *every *year through 8th grade (I believe) - either through our Parish Catholic school, or through the PREP program (for those who attend other schools).

The "Sacramental Preparation" classes only start up in the months prior to receiving the particular Sacrament. ALL of the kids (both from the Catholic school and all others in the PREP program) are combined for Sacramental Preparation. You have to be enrolled in Religious Education (either the school or PREP program) in order to go to the Sacramental Preparation classes. So you can't just jump in for the Sacraments and then leave and forget about Religious Education for the remainder of the years. If you skip Religious Education after the early Sacraments (Reconciliation and First Eucharist in 2nd grade), then this will DELAY your Confirmation (8th or 9th grade)... they basically want to ensure that everyone receiving the Sacraments are PRACTICING Catholics...

High school kids have a youth group program, but at that point the formal "Religious Education" classes are over.

[/quote]

This is how it works in our parish as well. There are also programs offered occasionally by the Diocese during the year beginning for middle scholars and older. Our parish also has a very active youth program for those that have received confirmation and invites the youth from the surrounding parishes to participate in various activities. There are plenty of opportunites for the youth to be active, but sadly many parents do not seem to encourage their children to participate once they receive confirmation.

Thanks Em-in-fl Romanova and Patricia A for your posts. I think a youth club for the church sounds like a good idea there seems to be lots of families who go to our parish who would /may use it. I am guessing that probably there is a lack of volunteers willing to give up there time to run it. Thanks for spending the time to let me know what goes on at your parishes.

Look up “Little Flowers/ Blue Knights” on the internet. It’s a Catholic ministry program for families which focuses on the vitrues.

Thanks idrum I will pop that in the search engine.

You are absolutely right that it can depend upon the quantity AND quality of volunteers AND it also depends upon if your priest believes that some time of youth program is beneficial to the parish. Our priest loves being involved with the youth, tries to get to know them as much as he can. He comes to the activities and participates when his schedule allows and he makes sure to go to the annual amusement park trip every year because he loves roller coasters. We switched parishes over this past year and our old parish, the priest was not that much interested in the youth after they graduated from the parish school in 8th grade. The lack of interest showed, there were not many youth present in the weekend masses.

In our parish there is only sacramental preparation. We had Catholic schools until 1998 but when the laws changed in our province (where schools were never ‘public’ but always ‘denominational’) denominational schools disappeared and religious education took a back seat. Parents, who were used to leaving it up to the teachers, were not interested in stepping into the breach and, so, for the last 12 years it’s been sacramental prep only. Why? Because that’s all we can get anyone to volunteer to do.

After first Communion the only thing for the kids is becoming altar servers. That’s it until it’s time for Confirmation in grade 6.

I know we have CCD classes every year from K-12, as well as a middle school activity group. They also have lots of music programs and service opportunities for kids. Since my child isn’t born yet I am not entirely familiar with exactly what else is offered, but I do know there is a lot and they are very active! We had so many volunteers for CCD last year that they actually had to turn people away because each class already had two teachers. It’s a very involved parish.

PatriceA: I think probably our Priest would be happy for a youth group to be at the parish he seems to have a genuine interest in the youth at church on the times I have spoken to him.

Charlotte: God bless your church it sounds like a great parish to be involved in!

Our parish offers CCD classes through 10 grade, has a youth group for ages 12 to 18, the Knights offer their "Squires" program and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.