What Drew You to Be a Practicing Catholic?

I was born Catholic, but never really practiced it until now. I’ve been reading many stories of miracles of the church, such as incorruptable bodies of saints, levitations, etc. I have been really motivated to go to church, wear miraculous medals, and pray the rosary after reading stories of people experiencing God’s presence through these spiritual ways. So bascially what motivated me to start practicing again is the stories of miracles, and that no other church has a record of so many miracles, as Catholic, a sign of God’s presence obviously.

I recommend starting out slowly. You don’t want to start too many devotions at once. Yes, prayer and piety can bring about miracles and grace. However, rosaries, medals, etc., are not magic. I don’t think you think they are, but many people have gone from zero to sixty very quickly in the past without “results,” so to speak, and they just burn out.

My recommendation is to start with just one, maybe two, devotions that you think you might really like. Make them really part of your prayer life and try to bring them to full fruition. Being devoted to a few things but very deeply is better than being devoted to ten things but only barely or mechanically.

'Cos practice makes perfect! :slight_smile:

What drew me to be a practicing Catholic?

God.

Like moth to a flame I was drawn to His blinding love. The more I love Him the more I want to obey Him and the more I want to please Him.

When I was born, I was baptised a few days after, and my parents always brought me up in the Church. It is the one, holy, Catholic, and apostolic Church. There is no other.

Well, I was born and raised Catholic, but really did not understand what it really meant to be Catholic untill College. Once i started to do my own research into the teachings of the Church and apologetics. Did i truly come to know the truth of the Holy Catholic Church.

Hearing people mock and scorn the Church and my faith, only makes me grow stronger in my convictions. After all if there was no truth in the Church, why are the agents of the devil always trying to attack her and bring about her downfall? We know that “the gates of hell shall not prevail against it”, though they try, they will never prevail

Pax

B

My husband practically begged me to pray the rosary with him and now I would never go a day without it. It drew me back to church, to the sacraments and to a state of grace.

The rosary is really powerful and I recommend this devotion to anyone coming back to the church or wishing to enter it.

In brief:

1. Reflecting/studying the last things: Death, Judgement, Heaven, Hell. I admit I was driven by fear to practice my faith. It grew from there, but it started there.

2. Studying the teachings of the Church. The teachings of the Catholic Church had an inherent logic and truth to it that has convinced me that it IS the true Church of Jesus Christ and that the Church teaches truth.

3. The Rosary - I’ve prayed the Rosary since I was a child, and I feel the Blessed Mother has interceded for me in bringing me back to being a loyal, obedient, practicing Catholic.

I can write more, but here’s a snapshot.

God bless,
Bryan

I had an experience of God’s love when I was reading a book on Fatima that someone gave me to look at. Of course I had a grandma praying the rosary for me.
You rock, grandmas with rosaries! Keep it up!

My dead son brought me into the faith.

I was a clergy, pastoring two churches in the United Methodist faith. I graduated from seminary in 1994. I was ordained deacon in 1993 and Elder in 1996. I figured my life was pretty well set. My son was 16 and was killed in a roll over car accident. He was brain dead. He was my oldest and we were VERY close. About 3-4 days after his death he came to me in a dream and thanked me for everything I did for his funeral. He said he needed masses said for him. I didn’t really know what a mass was, I thought it was specific prayers. I ran around to every Catholic Church I could find and had anywhere from 1-3 masses a day said for my son for a year. All I knew was that Johnny needed my help and I was not going to fail him. I even contemplated committing suicide because I needed to cross over and help him. Thankfully I didn’t do it because I had two other sons who needed me. My son had died May 20, 1996.

At Christmas-time a friend came over and set up a Christmas tree and a nativity set for me, thinking it was too hard for me to do. Well my oldest son always played Santa. He wore a hat and always said, “I love being Santa. Call me Mr. Christmas.” When I saw those things upon arriving home a rage boiled up inside of me. I kept seeing his handsome face, his smile, the Santa hat and the pain was a raw scraping grating on my heart so I had to become enraged or, otherwise I would self destruct from the pain. I attacked the tree and tore it to shreds, putting it in it’s box and bashing it on the floor until all the ornaments and lights exploded, then I hauled it to the trash and put it on the curb. I then went into the kitchen and saw that nativity set. I remember Johnny being Joseph one year and all I could see was his sapphire blue eyes as he smiled and said, “Peace on earth good will to men” and the rage flew again. I got the hammer from the junk drawer and smashed the nativity set with so much force my two sons had to stop me. We all sobbed and I never celebrated Christmas again.

In the process of having those masses said I had 2 nervous breakdowns in less than a year. I soon realized I had to step down from being a parish pastor and resign due to the fact something had triggered a severe mood disorder. I understand now that extreme stress can change a person’s brain chemistry and cause a switch to flip and trigger a mental illness. Rarely once that switch is flipped does it ever turn back off so I stepped down from pastoral ministry right after Christmas, especially in light of how I was feeling. I became an atheist (angry at God more than anything).

I went to have masses said at a church and saw a flyer asking, “Do you want to learn more about the Catholic faith?” and I figured why not? That was RCIA. Right after I signed up my son came to me in a dream again and said, “Mom they said I can go with them now. I told them I can’t leave until I know you are OK” I told him I’d never be OK if he didn’t go and he told me he couldn’t talk to me anymore. I told him that it was OK that we could think of each other a lot and that before he knew it we would all be together again. He said that whenever I hear the word star in a song he’s thinking of me. We hugged for a really long time and then he was gone. I felt this weight lift from me and I knew he would come to me anymore and he never did.

At that time my first husband had died suddenly and I had married a guy I was living with for 7 years. During the Christmas season (which I always ignored) a sister in the RCIA class was giving out cards she had picked out for us. Not wanting to be rude I opened it and on the front was a nativity set…and inside it said, “Sometimes we just have to go back and start over”.

I became Catholic in 2000 at Easter Vigil and loved Mass. I had married a Jewish man but did my best to live out my faith. One day while attending mass the priest at the parish stood up and admitted to having a sexual relationship with an altar server 22 years before then and I started having flashbacks and ran out of the church. I was sexually abused as a child and that was more than I could bear. I was outraged I stayed out of church for 9 years.

After 9 years of all this chaos, the marriage to the 2nd husband fell apart. In January of 2011 I moved into my own apartment. Then I had a dream a demon was straddling me in bed and threatening me. I was so terrified I did not sleep much for days. I was searching for holy water and that led me home to the Church. I have been back since.

Sadly the priest and I got into a horrible falling out and he shoved me off to the side and basically proceeded to ignore me. I was angry, rebellious, and rude but I really needed someone that would have set me straight and not discarded me as I felt discarded all my life. I was banned from confession with him, banned from leadership in the church, and banned from his advice/counseling/help in any way. He was rude, snappy, and nasty. He had his inner circle and you were supposed to be content with being on the outside. I totally admit I was disobedient and rude but the amount of “punishment” I received was way beyond what was called for according to a new priest I work with who has 35 years experience.

So after learning that being argumentative and rude is wrong, I have come full circle. I’m wrestling with staying at my current parish (new priest is there as of last week) and going to this new parish with a more experienced priest (I do have a mental illness and need someone with experience) so I’m not sure where God wants me, just glad to be Catholic and have the love of God in my life. I have submitted my “lack of form” annulment and am waiting for that reply. I’m told these are handled very quickly as I married outside the church. Keep me in prayer, I need it.

Hugs to all–can’t wait to read your stories,

Lorrie

I was drawn by the presence of objective truth. All around me and especially in the media, I kept experiencing what is appropriately termed as “nonsense.” In the search for truth, I found there is only one institution that collects nuggets of truth and preserves them, that is the catholic church.

For me it was some of the things that I saw whilst in the Military on active service. It made me realize that death is permanent (as I saw it back then) & that there must be more to life that the finite years that we have here on earth, that was in 2007 & what i saw culminated in me being welcomed into the church Easter this year via many other protestant churches. There is such peace as i’ve never known receiving the Eucharist & despite of the way I can be treated by others in my workplace because of my beliefs, the peace & humility i feel during/after Mass makes it all worthwhile.

God Bless.

Honestly?

The fear of going to Hell.

I am a cradle Catholic but continue to practise my faith through reason, faith and His grace.

:smiley:

What drew me to embrace my faith better was sheer logic. When my wife and I were married, we had to make decisions regarding how to space children. We knew artificial birth control was wrong, but wanted to find out why.

Investigating that teaching really turned on the light bulb about how sensible the teachings of the Catholic Church are. Once you understand why 2+2 = 4, you don’t go back and pretend that 2+2 = 5.

from some of my other posts:

my parents are not all that religious so after I had been confirmed going to mass slowly just became non existent ,if it wasn’t already by that time. As a teenager it was seen as simply not all that important and in high school religion class simply bacame a credit you had to get. The religion classes themselves for the most part ( at least as i remember them) were really more about morality then theology or church histoy, we opened a bible once in a while and read a couple passages but nothing really indepth. There was one religion teacher I had who taught “world religions” that kind of started to get me more interested in learning about the faith but nothing really came of it until a few years later when i was in college and was doing a course on violence which potrayed the chuch’s history in my country in not exactly the best light, which again got me curious…long story short a few month ago i started seeing videos on youtube and other sites of catholic answers live which led me to catholic answes.com, videos of Fr.Baron, and eventually this forum.

I think at the end of the day a lot if not most of the knowlege kids have of the faith will be because of the parents and how much the parents know about it.

not quite practicing…I suppose, but inching there. I think Fr Baron said it best in his youtube video about religious drifters. youtube.com/watch?v=9YyOGz3XQ-w

I was baptized catholic, went through the sacrements and it wasn’t like I stopped being catholic but when your raised catholic and don’t know what it means to be catholic, I think your probably going to drift a little bit like what you see with people who are called “cafeteria” Catholics .

I think that sums it up for me. hahahaha, hopefully I stayed on topic.
[/quote]

I know a few people who are practicing Catholics and genuinely good people. Maybe it’s me but they seem to pick on people who are non-Catholic and they can be a bit pushy when it comes to getting everyone to practice a devotional or pray. Despite all their good intentions, it’s a bit of a turn off for me. And it gets worse when my spiritual life falls into a lull and I want to be left alone.

I like watching people who are pious in that meek, slightly fragile sort of way. There’s just something about them which isn’t too different from people whose lives are consumed by particular craft or sport.

You got me, guilty as charged. :o . Young, devout Catholics like myself also seem to do this. I try not to, but in the desire to evangelize, we tend to inadvertently go off the deep end.
I was raised in a nominally Catholic household, but didn’t start practicing till my senior year of high school, when I started attending my parish’s youth group. Seeing their joy made me want to go deeper. Then I went on a Kairos retreat, which is when I truly can say I first met God.

:smiley:

I absolutely loved your reason for your faith. God bless your son! I’m so sorry that you lost him, but I’m so happy he guided you down the right path.

I can’t say the real reason why I became a “practicing” Catholic. I went on a youth retreat a few years back and since then I’ve been hooked on faith. Now I’m just educating myself in the ways of the Church and trying to develop strength to defend Her.

Not to mention, I’m discerning a vocation in religious life, so as nicky said, “like a moth” is probably quite accurate for me :slight_smile:

I grew up in an entirely secular family. There was no hostility towards religion, it just wasn’t brought up much. Around the time I hit 16, I had a serious, sudden emotional and spiritual crisis. I began to wonder about existence and purpose. Knowing that such things are outside the realm of science, I turned to philosophy for answers. I studied many different religions. I did my best to determine which were historically accurate, I looked for evidence and whether they were rational. Most pagan religions were ruled out quickly. Buddhism was empty and obsessed with annihilation. Hinduism, apart from its folk version of idolatry, lacked much historical ground and advocated the monstrous caste system. I briefly considered converting to Judaism, then I became immersed in studying gnostic sects. Eventually, I turned to Christianity as the only feasible choice. After studying the reason and history between the Holy Church and the various Protestant sects, the choice simply became clear to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.